Fiber optic conduit

Waiting on power company OK to use two poles.
If that fails, how much drag for pulling fiber cable through pex tubing?
Not looking forward to trenching 450 feet for conduit, and one piece with no seams is nice, but how "sticky" is it?
Running 4 strands so I have a fail safe extra line. Would like multiband, but the single is such a good price at the moment.
Pi 4 compute module with pcix ethernet card for openWRT endpoint.

Is there any OpenWrt related question here? :thinking:

3 Likes

Hardware related. openWRT device has to hook to ethernet cable, or use radio waves.
endpoint needs SFP+ adapter to get said ethernet into WRT device as well.
a car with no tires might be good for parking, but not much else.

The drag for pulling fiber cable through pex tubing and how "sticky" is the cable without seams are not even related to SFP+, let alone OpenWrt related hardware.

3 Likes

If you're building a 10 Gb system you'd usually terminate the fibers at a high-performance switch, then bring the data to your router with a VLAN to one of the other ports. This way LAN to LAN inter-building traffic is hardware switched, and the router is relegated mostly to Internet requests.

Singlemode fiber has much higher potential bandwidth than multimode. Definitely install singlemode for any long-term solution. Singlemode fiber will be capable of any network speed of the forseeable future by upgrading the transceivers. So you're not going to need to pull it out to replace with something else, you could direct bury an armored fiber.

Doubt I will even fill 1 gig. Just extending my home lan range to my CNC machines, and letting me place some more security sensors farther out. Kid is building a recording studio beside my workshop, so maybe some audio channels which won't eat much even with his 10+ channel surround sound mixing. Doubt I will even need prioritizing of traffic on the backbone.
30 years ago the fiber cable was as thick as phone cable, now it's thinner than a pencil.
Perfect chance to play with fiber. (splicing, polishing, etc...), and have an excuse to get a pi compute module and have a wrt interface that is safe to just play with without the boss loosing her internet connection. Already have the ground sensors so NSA can't tunnel in to tap fiber. :alien:

I'll check the armored fiber, thanks.

I am not an expert by any means, but I have linked my three outbuildings with (loose tube dry core) singlemode fibre pulled through PVC conduit. I use Mikrotik rb760igs (hex s) running OpenWrt at a few of the ends with generic FS SFP 1G transceivers. Really looking forward to Microsemi SparX-5 based devices (fresh mainline kernel driver).

Pulling cables through conduits has many variables. Large ISPs have lead-in trenching requirements documentation on their website that were a great best practices reference for me.

Straight conduit is good, tight corners are the worst. I generally want not more than two 90 degree sweeping bends. After this, I will put a pit in the conduit so that if my draw rope is difficult to pull for a section, I can pull the fibre through that conduit section, out the pit and do a figure 8 coil, then do the next conduit section as a separate pull (but this needs 2+ people).

I used 4 meter lengths of 50mm (outer diameter) PVC conduit. Larger conduit makes pulling easier, and leaves room for future additions. Fed my draw rope through while burying the conduit, then glued the joins. I used loose tube dry core singlemode fibre.

The first two cables (50m & 150m) had existing cables in the conduits, so I ordered these as 12core, with one end pre-terminated (LC connectors) on a drum. Pulled through the bare end plus replacement draw rope. The 150m pull I needed maybe 40kg of weight for the last of it. Then got someone in to fusion splice my LC pigtails onto the bare ends.
The next cable (105m) was new conduit. I got 6core pre-terminated (parallel) LC both ends (with a pulling sock on the available end), and pulled this through the 50mm conduit.
All my loose tube cores are terminated and coupled in an enclosure, then I use fibre patch cables to get to the SFP transceiver.