Extroot configuration aftermath

Hi All,

Just completed steps for extroot here:

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/additional-software/extroot_configuration#extroot_configuration

Everything seems to be working fine. However, I am curious what to do with my ubi0 devices now that I no longer need the /rwm mount? (or at least i dont think i do)

Is there something i can use that for to optimize performance?

Thanks,

Bill

I keep a basic setup.on the embedded memory, and an advanced setup on the USB memory. In case of emergency, I can boot with the USB drive unplugged, and have a functional router.

3 Likes

Ah, OK i think I misunderstood the purpose of rwm...it is your "base" install as I read it now. Thanks for the clarification.

So ideally, I would want to install a new image (not upgrade) and configure basic router and then proceed with extroot and additional, non-critical application installs?

Well, your needs could.be different to mine, but that is exactly what I do.

Don't forget that the router's built-in flash resource is limited by the number of write cycles.
Thus preserving it with minimum possible modifications is also a good idea.

3 Likes

No.
Onboard flash has very poor performance (it is used because it is cheap) and limited write endurance (most devices don't read/write much in there for their whole service life).

Whatever you connect over USB or SD card or Sata will be much faster and have better write endurance.

2 Likes

And it can be easily replaced, in case of failure.

1 Like