Extroot config and sysupgrade with a config file

I'm new to OpenWrt after using dd-wrt on Linksys routers for years and years. I am experimenting and messing up installs left and right and have made notes to copy and paste into ssh and scripts to help me back to a working state. I am using extroot and sysupgrade with a config file using these methods.

Is this enough of a config to make my previously created extroot work after a sysupgrade with config? I believe the other commands were to help identify inputs and check results, so I think this should work.

fstab.@global[0].anon_mount='0'
fstab.@global[0].anon_swap='0'
fstab.@global[0].auto_mount='1'
fstab.@global[0].auto_swap='1'
fstab.@global[0].check_fs='1'
fstab.@global[0].delay_root='5'
fstab.@global[0]=global
fstab.@mount[0].enabled='1'
fstab.@mount[0].target='/mnt/sda1'
fstab.@mount[0].uuid='57190f40-9af1-4a87-9919-4e00a2bc67f7'
fstab.@mount[0]=mount
fstab.overlay.target='/overlay'
fstab.overlay.uuid='57190f40-9af1-4a87-9919-4e00a2bc67f7'
fstab.overlay=mount
fstab.rwm.device='/dev/ubi0_1'
fstab.rwm.target='/rwm'
fstab.rwm=mount

No, the extroot is intentionally disabled over a sysupgrade, as the overlayed files are not compatible between different versions. This starts with simple things like different config file semantics/ syntax, but the really hard incompatible issues arise for runtime installed binaries (-packages), especially these are not compatible at all (what 'might' happen to continue working over minor service upgrades, will definitively fail between major version upgrades - and your opkg database would be seriously messed up either way). An extroot must be recreated after sysupgrades and cannot be enabled again.

2 Likes

So should I delete upper/ and work/ on sda1 each time? Can I leave the files if I am just running firstboot or using the same firmware, or is it best to clean it up? Hmm, maybe that's the point where everything goes south. If I don't clean it up, am I just loading my old config with its issues? "Talking" through this makes me think this is my problem...

Thanks for the help, I've screwed up my setup quite a few times in the last few days as I add settings and features, so I'm stepping through to see how the router reacts to each change instead of trying to do it all at once. AdGuard Home for OpenWrt piqued my interest and caused the switch from dd-wrt.

I personally simply erase my entire sda1 (rm -rf < /path/to/sda1/mount >). I have a script that does this and then runs the extroot config, so it is super easy to do my upgrades.