Ethernet port icons on OpenWrt

Traffic lights are coloured not written in any language, why, bcz high contrast colours are easier to distinguish.
92% of people aren't colour blind.
Even colour-blind people usually have one type of colour blindness, so we can still help them with specific themes or colour schemes depending on their usage.

1 Like

You can file a pull request. I'm sure the developers would be happy to consider your contribution.

'Should' two times in a row is hardly a suggestion.

'Feature requests' is all fine and dandy. It's not how OpenWrt works though.

2 Likes

I am not experienced enough to do a pull request, not a developer by profession. I describe myself as an "experienced noob" :slightly_smiling_face:
English is not my first language, so usage of "should"sound excessive.

I have used Openwrt since 2012, but left the project bcz my previous router was packed up and not required in the intervening years. during this time, I had some experience with Homeassistant another Open-source project where there is a dedicated forum for "Feature requests".

In fact the latest project, I am trying to help with was started as a feature request, leading to two HA integration by excellent developers.

2 Likes

Perhaps @jow can share his thoughts on this feature request?

1 Like

Yeah makes sense, but no time to work on it.

2 Likes

Found some hours to cobble together something, currently looks like this on an ER-X:

The green/red colors indicate zone/network membership (my eth0 has both because it's a trunk port carrying WAN and LAN via VLANs)

I should also scale to many ports, design wise (tested by repeating the actual ports a few times):

Hovering the colors gives a member network list:

grafik

Hovering the up/down bytes provides detailed stats:

grafik

So far so good, potential issues/quirks/unexpected behaviors:

• We don't know the actual port labels printed on the device. While DSA devices are supposed to name their netdevs after the external case labels, I'm not sure if it is universally true
  • Only considers ethernet ports mentioned in /etc/board.json
  • Does not expose the OEM intended role of the port ("WAN port", "LAN port", "SFP port")
  • Default wan/lan zone colors (red & green) or the zone color bar in general might be mistaken as some kind of port status indicator (active/inactive/error or 100M vs. 1G indication)
10 Likes

I love this data in and out number.
It could be great if this field could be customizable in the future.

I opened a pull request here so that people can try it out on their devices. If the feedback is positive, I'll merge it in a few days.

4 Likes

How I can try it on on 21.03? Need to build new image?

I don't think jow will entertain backport requests at this point. I just tried on 22.03 and it doesn't work there, this is meant to be tested on master.

Is there any possibility of it being included in final 22.03 or 22.03rc7(if there is one)

The delta between 22.03 and master should be smaller, that's for sure.

Is this included in 22.03?

No it is not.

Did not work with snapshot dated Thu Sep 8 on D-Link DIR-878 rev.A

No icons at all in the Status > Overview page.

Entered the following via SSH

opkg update
opkg install luci-mod-status

I got this on the software page in 21.02

It is not merged yet, neither in master nor 22.03

1 Like

Thanks jow.
How do I go about trying it out/installing it please?

Is it not just opkg update, opkg install luci-mod-status for snapshots?

Do I need to install all eight packages listed by KOA?

You can't install it via opkg yet, it's just unmerged code in a pull request at the moment.

Oke, doke.