Error with package on 23.05.2 Firmware Selector cypress-nvram-43455-sdio-rpi-4b

I've been running a RPi4B for a few years now with a USB ethernet device. I use the cypress-nvram-43455-sdio-rpi-4b package for this. The latest 23.05.2 firmware build seems to be missing this package. Has it been renamed, or has support been migrated somewhere else? I don't want to install without it to see what happens, because my usb ethernet could fail, rendering my home without internet while I sort out the downgrade, and any potential configuration issues that come with that. Is anyone else seeing this issue with similar hardware?

I have the exact same issue.

@luciferin @PrMinisterGR
To minimize this risk, I alternate between 2 SD cards: install a secondary one, without touching the active one for easier fallback.

If you look at "Customize installed packages and/or first boot script" in image selector of V22 and V23, it seems the package was simply renamed. I remember having read that a lot of packages had been renamed in 23.05:

https://firmware-selector.openwrt.org/?version=22.03.5&target=bcm27xx%2Fbcm2711&id=rpi-4:
... cypress-nvram-43455-sdio-rpi-4b ...

https://firmware-selector.openwrt.org/?version=23.05.2&target=bcm27xx%2Fbcm2711&id=rpi-4:
... brcmfmac-nvram-43455-sdio ...

yes, i have same issue when updating, a few pachages could not be installed:

Collected errors:

• opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package cypress-nvram-43455-sdio-rpi-4b.
  • opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package freeradius3-mod-eap-leap.
  • opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package luci-i18n-banip-en.
  • opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package php8-pecl-sodium.
  • opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package strongswan-mod-nonce.
  • opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package strongswan-scepclient.
    make[2]: *** [Makefile:189: package_install] Error 255
    make[1]: *** [Makefile:154: _call_manifest] Error 2
    make: *** [Makefile:274: manifest] Error 2

The actual error message should be somewhere 1-2 screens above your pasted messages.

After comparing my package list with the default package list from here, this solved the problem for me:

I removed the following packages from the package list (ignore those you don't have):

• cypress-firmware-43455-sdio
  • cypress-nvram-43455-sdio-rpi-4b
  • luci-i18n-attendedsysupgrade-en
  • all packages with the name containing "wolffs"

And added the following packages to the list:

• brcmfmac-nvram-43455-sdio
  • cypress-firmware-43455-sdio
  • kmod-r8169
  • libustream-mbedtls
  • wpad-basic-mbedtls

Hope this helps.

1 Like

I am just hitting this. I have

Collected errors:

• opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package cypress-nvram-43455-sdio-rpi-4b.
  • opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package luci-i18n-wireguard-en.

I think you solved one of them, based on your comments I will see if I can solve the other, not clear if I can just remove it which seems to be what people do with other i18n packages, are these just internationalisation resources so no impact if I remove ?

Answer: I needed to remove the i18n package but needed to add back luci-proto-wireguard to get my VPN settings to render ok in Luci. Apart from that the rest of the instructions here worked thank you.

Correct. The -en versions they are just redundant copies of what's already in the code...

1 Like