Ea7200 vs ea7300 vs ea6900

Hi,
In my city there are not a lot of router purchase options, picked up a linksys7200 r72 ac1750 because it was only thing on the shelf under $200. It is not like in the old days. Anyway.
I get home with this thing and there are very few articles about it in the open firmware community. My luck. I cant find anything about chipsets and such anywhere.
The question is, is it similar enough to the 7300 to attempt openwrt install? Does community have any other suggestions? Is it more similar to the ea6900? Similar enough?
Is there anywhere else to search for chipset information than wikidevi? fwiw it looks exactly like the ea7300.
I wanted something plain jane and now I have an exotic beast of nevermore, why are things like this.
tia

CPU1: Broadcom BCM4708A0

Good luck, Broadcom devices are most complicated and troublesome due to the drivers.

In my city there are not a lot of router purchase options

Check ebay before purchase, you can find a EA8500 for $50-$60.

is it similar enough to the 7300 to attempt openwrt install?

Nope.

Hi paul,

Thanks for the answers, Ill take this monstrosity back and order one that is approved. Also I noticed that this ea7200 requires you to phone home to linksys to -even begin- configuring it, allowing them to link your serial to your home ip address, which has no user-serving reason and every privacy invading reason.

Quick other questions,

1 Does openwrt have the join other wifi and share it over ethernet feature? wifi bridging i think its called?

2 Does openwrt have a package for openvpn always on, which would have the wan connection always connected to an external vpn server? Not the "phone home over vpn" but always encrypting your wan?

Thanks

Jan 25, 2021, 13:38 by mail@forum.openwrt.org:

1. https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/services/vpn/openvpn/client

thanks can close.

This topic was automatically closed 0 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.