E8450/RT3200 gigabit speeds tweaking?

Do you? Throttling really only asserts that the relevant bottleneck is under your control, but does not necessarily solve the typical over-sized and under-managed queue problem... for that you still should use competent AQM on the throttled link. For egress OpenWrt mostly does the right thing for you, by defaulting to BQL (on ethernet devices supporting it in the driver) and fq_codel as qdisc, but that will not really help for ingress traffic...

Please do not assume malice or incompetence, but always first assume a benign communication issue that can be resolved amicably.

That last words saves that paragraph. All browser tests are compromises to a degree, and not all are equally well suited to each individual internet access link, but that does not make them generally "useless", which you do not claim thanks to the final "for me". Saved off the line ;), smooth!

1 Like

Ignorant response.

People with 1 Gbps connections get A+ on Waveform with OpenWrt, without throttling to 50 Mbps.

I know several.

Reasons why have already been stated above.

Sure, link?

Link to what?

Do your research...

Link to your source, obviously.

Source(s)...

Interesting that myself, and other members, got you to this point...

Now you're whining about Waveform...

As mentioned above, DSLReports reliability has fallen considerably.

I would take their results with a grain of salt.

This article is a "must read" for anyone considering a router for a "high speed" connection -

Do your own homework.

i don't know why my download speed seem to be caped, and my upload speed is going up and down, and up to 1000Mbps while i only have 500Mbps

Dslreport is not reliable for me.

?????

I asked for your sources from people who are getting 1gbps via Waveform and A+........
I mean, yeah...... I'm still learning. no need to be hostile.

I'm happy with SW/HW offloading ON and getting around 30/40 latency.

Thanks.

More than happy with this. SQM enabled. earlier on in the post are the settings I'm using. irqbalance OFF and packet steering OFF.

:smiley:

I don't think I'll get any better........
Should I change my cpu governor? If I change to ondemand, there's a bug and my router turns off/doesn't reboot. I tried sched and that's fine.

Just wondering if I should change it.......

Weird did you set min freq as the wiki recommends when you set ondemand? I just run schedutil

I set:

echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_governor

And tried rebooting; my router would turn off, no lights and wouldn't come back on until I pressed the power button to off/on...

Is it recommended to use: echo schedutil > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_governor?

I think you've reached a level where whatever you do will be imperceptible now :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Until a proper fix is decided upon and implemented upstream, users should set the minimum frequency to 437500 Hz up from the default 300000 Hz in order to avoid a potential to hang on boot caused by firmware bug.

echo 437500 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_min_freq

This can be added to /etc/rc.local so it executes automatically by editing that file directly or through LuCI: System → Startup → Local Startup
-https://openwrt.org/toh/linksys/e8450#preventing_the_potential_of_hangs_on_rebooting

Yeah in the RT3200 thread, it's recommended not to do that.

What you on about?

It's the ondemand that messes up the booting...

i don't see any significant difference between your latest bufferbloat tests.

https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat?test-id=a747b069-8c2c-4733-ab79-0a79655ce1f8
https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat?test-id=e3317a3d-83d9-4eb3-8a6f-a69b400eb805
https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat?test-id=21afc836-0be5-4d33-85c6-7feec293d764

i don't know exactly what settings you changed, but i don't see a big difference. so i conclude that you have reached a level where whatever you do, it doesn't change anything anymore.

Okay?
I was just sharing.

At least I don't have 100+ latency now. and the 'tests' are always the same now.
I don't have packet steering on, IRQ isn't installed, DNS is set to 8.8.4.4 and 900mbps download for SQM and 45mbps upload. fq_codel and simplest_tbf.

Also, I don't believe you're getting A+ via SW/HW on. I tried it, it goes well above 50+....