Dynalink DL-WRX36 Askey RT5010W IPQ8072A technical discussion

Agreed. The steps could also be updated to be specific that SSH user once on OpenWrt factory is "root" with no password. It might not be clear to everyone, as you start off with admin/askey1234.

Thank you, really appreciate itπŸ™

Your example got VLAN up an running for me on this router.

Spent alot of time on this the last 48hrs.

I've only had experience with routers that have an internal switch, which I'm still using now as my main in my setup WRT1900ACS.

Locked myself out of the router a number of times trying to set this up,... tgf for the usb recovery method.

I'm trying to get the network up as quickly as possible.

Then I'll get into to making my own builds which surprisingly I'm quite good at and looking forward to it!

Thanks again mate.

1 Like

vi /etc/init.d/LEDoff

#!/bin/sh /etc/rc.common

START=99

start() {
    sleep 2
    echo none > /sys/class/leds/blue:system/trigger
    echo 0 > /sys/class/leds/blue:system/brightness
}

chmod +x /etc/init.d/LEDoff

ln -s /etc/init.d/LEDoff /etc/rc.d/S99LEDoff

/etc/init.d/LEDoff enable

Wife was complaining... its a nice light don't get me wrong, but under the TV...

could just do it once, in /etc/rc.local ?

I tried that, didn't work for me. I suspect because of timing issue

yup, since it works from the prompt.

add a sleep 30 before the 1st echo.

1 Like

FYI it is assumed for Installation guides that users read/know basic OpenWrt (and Linux OS as a whole) before flashing, so they would typically know the default root/no-password login to any clean OpenWrt install. Nevertheless, it could be forgotten after using the Askey oem login, so I added a note to the doc for clarificaiton.

@Tobias I just plugged a 32GB drive (way beyond FAT capacity) into my Windows 11 PC, right clicked on it, clicked Format, selected FAT32 from the drop down, and it formatted in seconds. What am I missing here this is very easy in Windows.

1 Like

Maximum capacity of a FAT32 volume is 32 GB. Your drive is 32 GB, mine is 256 GB. Therefore my selection only shows exFAT and NTFS:

What you are missing is additonal space on your USB stick :wink:

so you need to repartition the drive...

Only if using Windows' default format tool. Using third party tools (e.g. Rufus) let you go past that limit within Windows.

Repartition and creating a single partion <32GB should enable the FAT32 format option in Windows but I am not sure if the DL-WRX36 would still boot. I am also not sure if the router wouldn't boot with exFAT as well. Maybe FAT32 isn't actually necessary.

Yes, it's obviously a soft limit. After formatting my USB stick with FAT32 using MacOS also Windows shows my the drive with the full size of the USB stick.

You can do it in win too, from cmd, by using the format command.

1 Like

Hmm ok I just got lucky and happened to put in a 32GB. I always thought max format size for FAT32 was 4GB but just looked it up that's the max file size, you're right about max format size.

1 Like

How good is actually the coverage/wifi performance on this router? From what I've read, some people have excellent signal and some are reporting that rt3200 gives better coverage. Would be great to hear more opinions on this topic.

THIS router... Loving it!!

Have 3 of these in our home connected via smart switches, head is OpenWRT1900ACS.

VLANS x 4 coming into each Dynalink, one for each WiFi network. 3 of which have roaming enabled (my IoT ssid does not require roaming)

Running a recent snapshot.

Router interface is snappy.

Highly recomended from here.

Just love OpenWRT and Linux in general, really good hardware to play with, so good! Happy days!! Thanks to all who contribute to OpenWRT!

4 Likes

So I just experienced an odd issue, my WiFi has gone down but I am Using 3 of these routers, and the both radios for all 3 went down simultaneously, so an external trigger?

/sbin/wifi status (translation by chatgpt) reports;

The output you provided shows the status of the radio0 Wi-Fi radio and its associated interfaces. Based on this output, it appears that the radio0 Wi-Fi radio is currently up and operational. Here are some key details from the output:

radio0 is up: "up": true
    It is configured for the 5 GHz band: "band": "5g"
    The radio is using the HE80 (802.11ax) mode: "htmode": "HE80"

Additionally, there are several Wi-Fi interfaces (phy0-ap0, phy0-ap1, phy0-ap2, phy0-ap3) configured on this radio, each with its own SSID and security settings.

Since the status of radio0 is reported as up in the output, it suggests that the Wi-Fi radio itself is operational. If you are experiencing issues with specific interfaces or clients connecting to these interfaces, you may need to check the configuration settings for each interface or investigate any specific issues related to the clients.

If you have any specific questions or concerns about the configuration or operation of a particular Wi-Fi interface, please feel free to provide more details, and I'd be happy to assist further.

So now I'm trying to come up with a script that can action a newtork reload or other based upon a trigger event that can be detected but I am unable to source a trigger as iwinfo and above do not report any issues.

A reboot sorts it out but I'd like to better understand why this happend if anyone knows.

1 Like

Need to look at this later

Have you got the WiFi Multi To Unicast settings ticked?

Seems this setting needs to be set, otherwise you're going to experience a myriad of WiFi issues.

2 Likes

I do not, thank you. To come to think of it I do recall coming across this recommendation in this thread.

I'll enable.

Update: this seems to have fixed the issue for me!

Update 2: 15hrs later, still going strong without any drop-outs

1 Like

I created a an attempt to fix the annoying sysupgrade problem, where the ath11k wifi driver takes so long to be terminated, that the sysupgrade silently fails and the router boots without actually sysupgrading. This happens quite often with DL-WRX36, and the manual fix is to kill "wpad" process before sysupgrade is started.

See PR 13042 for the patch and explanation. I propose to add 2 sec delay into the "kill all processes" loop, so that the ath11k has time to die during that 10 times loop).

EDIT:
Note that the PR discussion now includes also a newer, slightly modified version of the solution. (where exactly is the 2 sec delay added)

10 Likes