Dynalink DL-WRX36 Askey RT5010W IPQ8072A technical discussion

Please check the version of ssh client you are using.

I am using the default from Fedora 37, which I need to add the following to ~/.ssh/config in order to connect:

192.168.216.1 should be the LAN IP of the backup.cfg file provided in this thread that enabled ssh access.

Host 192.168.216.1
	HostKeyAlgorithms +ssh-rsa
	PubkeyAcceptedAlgorithms +ssh-rsa

If the router is reset to factory defaults, then there is no ssh daemon running. The ssh daemon is enabled by the backup.cfg .

A new problem regarding wifi.
Fresh openwrt install, no settings changed yet.
I change the default 5ghz wireless to:
Mode AX, channel 120, width 160Mhz.
Security wpa3.
I did that without changing the driver country.
After 90 seconds, the changes revert back.
Anyways I enabled the wireless so the configuration is saved and as you guessed, it didn't came up again.
Can someone tell me why that happens so I don't choose the wrong numbers again? With my old router ath79, I could choose the exact setup without any problem.
Thanks in advance

What username do you use when you ssh?
Just after applying config file and before loading openwrt, You should use admin as username (not root).
And askey1234 is the password for ssh, not for web portal nor for wireless. Those have different passwords after applying config file, which are not important because the only password you need is the ssh password.

I'm using Putty 0.78 on Windows, and have been attempting to connect using the factory default IP address. However, after restoring the .cfg file there's just no SSH server running on the router at all. Even a full on nmap scan shows no SSH service responding as if it was never enabled. It just seems like that config file doesn't like my router for some reason.

I only reset it back to factory defaults to attempt the flash process over again. I'm essentially always getting stuck at the point where I should be able to get an SSH server, but it just never shows up for me. Is it possible there's a version of the factory firmware that's not compatible with that config file and drops SSH support?

1 Like

admin username and password askey1234 did not grant ssh access either through putty or via a command shell login (ssh admin@192.168.216.1) after restoring the wrx36.cfg file linked by borgqueenx in this post. I rebooted the router and tried again - still didn't work. And the OEM password stopped working in all cases, so the cfg file changed something, but not as expected.

So I used the router reset pin hole and the OEM firmware configuration restored, so I can log back in to the OEM web interface now at 192.168.216.1 using the password on the sticker on the bottom of the router.

My OEM firmware version is 1.10.01.201. DL-WRX36 purchased in U.S.

Strange - not the result I expected based on the many examples of success in this thread.

I'm hesitant to repeat the process again, because if my pin hole reset flipped me to the OEM recovery partition, then I could be left with zero (versus one) partition I know the password for. And "they" do say repeating the same thing and expecting a different outcome is the definition of insanity, so there is that too.

Any advice on next steps to flash this with OpenWrt? Should I open up the case and go the USB to serial route? Download an OEM config file and try the steps further up in this thread to decrypt, modify, re-encrypt and upload it to the OEM firmware?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

There are many config files in this thread. It could be that you downloaded an old config file. This config worked for me:

3 Likes

This appears to have fixed my issue as well; thank you for the corrected file. I had pulled the file that is linked in the "noob" guide that was posted a few days ago but that one doesn't work for me.

Going to go about the rest of the process now, hopefully it's smooth sailing from here.

1 Like

Thank you for the report. I'll give the other file a try.

Is it possible to modify the partition layout and have only one big rootfs for this router (as for Xiaomi AX3600)?

Apart from the technical question, there's a bigger one to be answered first - why?

The only reason this has been done for the ax3600 is the combination of

• the usable space was very small (~20 MB), compared to the 256 MB flash size
  • the fault detection code relied on unavailable kernel patches, which were hardly mergeable for OpenWrt (not totally impossible, but hard to defend and re-write in a way not affecting the other devices)
  • the OEM bootloader is quite intrusive by trying to hot-patch the DTS, which makes it already necessary to override much of this - diverging further is a rather small step beyond that.
  • the OEM firmware recovery is capable enough to recover, even with these changes in place

On the DL-WRX36, you have roundabout 90 MB to your disposal, not too far away from half of the flash (which would be the best you could aim for on a dual-firmware device) - which is plenty for running OpenWrt and in addition you also have a USB3 port available (for further storage, be it extroot or just additional data partition; the ax3600 does not have USB ports). This makes it much harder to come up with a reason for diverge from the OEM partitioning.

If dual-firmware is working (or has a chance to become working in the future, even if that implies no automated toggling of the boot order), it would be sad to willingly lose this feature of 'safe' a/b upgrades.

Changing the OEM partitioning is risky, it makes it much harder for the user to revert to the stock OEM firmware (this part is easy for the Xiaomi ax3600/ ax9000, as Xiaomi does provide a recovery tool for this, which can recover even a merged flash), there would need to be a good reason to do so.

3 Likes

This router does not support 160MHz mode with stock firmware.

I guess with OpenWrt, it is the same.

120 isn't a 160MHz channel.

Or you could save your own config, decrypt it, set the passwords and SSH as you like, encrypt it, and then restore it.
See

1 Like

I could only select 20mhz on 5ghz channels what i remember, the others could be selected but would be mismatched. In thr channel list, a lot for 40mhz were missing.

Channel 36 has the same problem with 160 Mhz. It looks like @samspson is right and the router does not support 160 Mhz in any channel. I will test more and write back unless someone is already using 160 Mhz?

that's perfectly fine, it's also not a 160MHz chan.

if you're going to report issues (assuming it's one, and not work as designed),
at least make sure you're testing it using the correct scenario/configuration, and no
"I can't eat my soup with my fork".

I'm not using 160, because I don't need that speed, but I just tried it and it's working here:
(I connected with my mobile that only does 80Mhz, but router was at 160Mhz)

Maybe/probably the qualcomm radio driver doesn't have an updated country database, so that's a factor.
The factors that limit 160MHz are the country/channel/power and DFS.

But I could eat my cold soup with my fork before I cooked the new soup :slight_smile: Point taken.

May I ask which driver country did you choose in your test of 160 Mhz? so I can also try that.

it says US, in the screen shot.

but it shouldn't work ... question is, is it really using 160 ? :slight_smile:

some links and info in Xiaomi AX3600: 160 MHz not possible on ch36, radio1 (IPQ8074 802.11acaxn)

2 Likes