Dynalink DL-WRX36 Askey RT5010W IPQ8072A technical discussion

Ordered a rainproof box from amazon but the router itself didn't fit, until i removed all plastic. Was super easy and now i have a rainproof box for outside for 20 euro.

Love the flexibility of this router, both having openwrt but also easy to open. But perhaps other routers are also easy to open, i dont know.

3 Likes

After restoring the cfg file, the WiFi name changes to Dynalink-AE. The network is secured. What is the password? My default one from the router is not working, askey1234 is not working as well.

The user is admin and the password is askey1234. I did the steps outlined in there 3 times without failing.
But you dont need to login the web interface at all after restoring the cfg. You just need ssh access, where that username and password should work.

1 Like

I apologize for noob question, but how do I SSH into the router, when I am not connected to the WiFi network? My laptop has no ethernet slot, so the WiFi is the only way I can connect.

Cheers!

Sad.
You usually connect via wired line when installing new devices.

Note that by default the standard OpenWrt images will have WiFi disabled initially. You need to configure the WiFi SSID and password etc. first.
So you will need wired connectivity.

(Or alternatively, you open the device and attach a serial cable to get into the console via serial.)

USB ethernet adapters are available. Wired ethernet of some kind is a hard must.

A usb to ethernet adapter is like 10 euro on amazon.

I am sorry for noob question, but how do you SSH into router if you are not connected to the WiFi? I do not have an ethernet port in my laptop.

Cheers!

I'd buy a USB to ethernet adapter (even speeds as low as 10/100M will do). Usually less than $10 at those speeds. You don't want to be reliant on wifi being enabled.

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=shop&hl=en&q=usb+ethernet&oq=usb+ethernet
add a 1m ethernet patch cable for 1-2 bucks, problem solved.

--
While it does make sense to look for a Realtek RTL8152/RTL8153 based one, which tends to behave better than the really cheap stuff, its performance doesn't really matter for this purpose. As wrcrooks mentioned, the cheapest 100 MBit/s USB2ethernet adapter would be sufficient to cover this basic task.

You could also try decrypting the config that you restored from; instructions are here: https://forum.openwrt.org/t/dynalink-dl-wrx36-askey-rt5010w-ipq8072a-openwrt-support/110454/365

• To decrypt (assumes downloaded config is called "backup.cfg"):
# openssl enc -d -aes-256-cbc -a -in backup.cfg \
  -out backup.tar.gz -pass pass:AskeyRT5000wKey1357924680
# tar -xvzf backup.tar.gz

You should see SSID and passphrase in one of the files and also the correct ssh and web UI credentials

and you should be able to ssh while connected via WiFi

I have a question about this router, which I wonder about after I flashed openwrt.

In wiki, it is written that the router comes with 256 Mb Nand storage.

However in my openwrt installation, it is written that:
Disk space: 70.45 mb
Temp space: 434,13 mb

which adds up to around 512 mb.

1. What's the real numbers? if the numbers under "status" is correct, shouldn't someone change the numbers in wiki page

While checking the add-on installation page, I can see that the router uses the disk space part to install the add-ons, which is just 70,45 mb. So we have 434,13 mb, which we can't use.
2. Is there anyway for openwrt to install the packages on the bigger partition/available space instead? Or will openwrt support that space in future? it's a little sad to have 434 mb space on a router and don't use it in anyway.

So, I'm following the instructions to get SSH running on the stock firmware to prep for flashing to OpenWRT. I'm on a wired connection. After I flash the provided .cfg file, the router is (correctly) rebooted. I notice that it has a new SSID of Dynalink-AE rather than my factory default Dynalink-21. This tells me that the restore went through and the system applied it.

I attempted to SSH into the device, but was met with a "Connection Refused" error. Checking nmap, it looks like SSH is not running on the router. Furthermore, the provided password of askey1234 doesn't seem to get me into the web portal either; I have to factory reset the router in order to be able to configure it at all. Multiple flashings and reboots makes me come to the same conclusion.

I feel like I'm missing something. Other than applying the .cfg file, is there some other first step that I'm missing? Or is it possible that I have a device that's not compatible with that .cfg file?

will tell you the details.

Flash is 256 MB (Micron MT29F2G08ABBGAH4, 256 MiB, SLC), the partitioning splits that out into two ~97 MB (dual-firmware) partitions, the rest is used for vendor purposes.

Would refer to the tmpfs backed /tmp/, 1 GB RAM (minus some reserved space), so roundabout 512 MB by default.

2 Likes

Please check the version of ssh client you are using.

I am using the default from Fedora 37, which I need to add the following to ~/.ssh/config in order to connect:

192.168.216.1 should be the LAN IP of the backup.cfg file provided in this thread that enabled ssh access.

Host 192.168.216.1
	HostKeyAlgorithms +ssh-rsa
	PubkeyAcceptedAlgorithms +ssh-rsa

If the router is reset to factory defaults, then there is no ssh daemon running. The ssh daemon is enabled by the backup.cfg .

A new problem regarding wifi.
Fresh openwrt install, no settings changed yet.
I change the default 5ghz wireless to:
Mode AX, channel 120, width 160Mhz.
Security wpa3.
I did that without changing the driver country.
After 90 seconds, the changes revert back.
Anyways I enabled the wireless so the configuration is saved and as you guessed, it didn't came up again.
Can someone tell me why that happens so I don't choose the wrong numbers again? With my old router ath79, I could choose the exact setup without any problem.
Thanks in advance

What username do you use when you ssh?
Just after applying config file and before loading openwrt, You should use admin as username (not root).
And askey1234 is the password for ssh, not for web portal nor for wireless. Those have different passwords after applying config file, which are not important because the only password you need is the ssh password.

I'm using Putty 0.78 on Windows, and have been attempting to connect using the factory default IP address. However, after restoring the .cfg file there's just no SSH server running on the router at all. Even a full on nmap scan shows no SSH service responding as if it was never enabled. It just seems like that config file doesn't like my router for some reason.

I only reset it back to factory defaults to attempt the flash process over again. I'm essentially always getting stuck at the point where I should be able to get an SSH server, but it just never shows up for me. Is it possible there's a version of the factory firmware that's not compatible with that config file and drops SSH support?

1 Like

admin username and password askey1234 did not grant ssh access either through putty or via a command shell login (ssh admin@192.168.216.1) after restoring the wrx36.cfg file linked by borgqueenx in this post. I rebooted the router and tried again - still didn't work. And the OEM password stopped working in all cases, so the cfg file changed something, but not as expected.

So I used the router reset pin hole and the OEM firmware configuration restored, so I can log back in to the OEM web interface now at 192.168.216.1 using the password on the sticker on the bottom of the router.

My OEM firmware version is 1.10.01.201. DL-WRX36 purchased in U.S.

Strange - not the result I expected based on the many examples of success in this thread.

I'm hesitant to repeat the process again, because if my pin hole reset flipped me to the OEM recovery partition, then I could be left with zero (versus one) partition I know the password for. And "they" do say repeating the same thing and expecting a different outcome is the definition of insanity, so there is that too.

Any advice on next steps to flash this with OpenWrt? Should I open up the case and go the USB to serial route? Download an OEM config file and try the steps further up in this thread to decrypt, modify, re-encrypt and upload it to the OEM firmware?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

There are many config files in this thread. It could be that you downloaded an old config file. This config worked for me:

3 Likes