Dynalink DL-WRX36 Askey RT5010W IPQ8072A technical discussion

FYI in case anyone here is interested:

Ive updated my custom openwrt firmware for the Dynalink DL-WRX36.

See the linked forum post and the github README for more info about it, but the major "new" feature is that it is NSS-enabled. This basically means that the extra processor cores that are specifically designed for processing networking-related tasks are up and running. You may not have known that the WRX36 even had these extra cores, since with mainline openwrt they are mostly unused and just sitting there idle.

See this thread for more info on ipq807x NSS-enabled builds.

Note that to get better performance with the NSS-enabled you need a decently fast internet connection...at less than a 100-200 mbps the CPU can handle the traffic easily enough that offloading it to the NSS cores offers no benefit. But, on faster connections, the router performance is distinctly better. I have gigabit fiber (1000/500) and it handles it without breaking a sweat.

As a bonus, even when satutating my link (by downloading at close to 1000 mbps) the CPU is only at 1 or 2% utilization (sinc thee NSS takes over the whole networking stack). This frees up the CPU to do other stuff (like, say, run a plex media server instance for example).

5 Likes