Dynalink DL-WRX36 Askey RT5010W IPQ8072A technical discussion

Very good fortune. Buy a lotto ticket too :rofl:

1 Like

Hello everyone, I have been shadowing this thread, and have successfully installed openwrt using option 2. After configuring my router, I have realized that my rootfs is out of space, and I cannot install more packages. What can/should I do? Here is the output of df -h

root@OpenWrt:~# df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                 6.0M      6.0M         0 100% /rom
tmpfs                   434.1M      1.0M    433.1M   0% /tmp
/dev/ubi0_2              70.2M     29.7M     36.9M  45% /overlay
overlayfs:/overlay       70.2M     29.7M     36.9M  45% /
tmpfs                   512.0K         0    512.0K   0% /dev

My storage looks like this:

OpenWrt SNAPSHOT, r22570-8ecf160c47
 -----------------------------------------------------
root@main:~# df -h
/dev/root                10.3M     10.3M         0 100% /rom
tmpfs                   434.1M    100.0K    434.0M   0% /tmp
/dev/ubi0_2              66.5M    184.0K     62.9M   0% /overlay
overlayfs:/overlay       66.5M    184.0K     62.9M   0% /

/dev/root is mean as read only, and our changes / installed packages should be written to the / (overlayfs:/overlay) . Your storage does not seems like full to me.

1 Like
root@DLwrx36:~# df -h
/dev/root                14.0M     14.0M         0 100% /rom
tmpfs                   434.3M      1.1M    433.3M   0% /tmp
/dev/ubi0_2              63.3M    236.0K     59.8M   0% /overlay
overlayfs:/overlay       63.3M    236.0K     59.8M   0% /
root@DLwrx36:~#

I compile my own build with additional packages that is why my build is 14.0 MB that is the read only part (/rom).
My overlay where you install additional packages is almost empty (because I have everything I need already compiled in).
In your case you still seem to have plenty left (36.9M)

Note that my overlay is smaller than yours probably because my ROM is larger, in total it looks like there is something of 77 MB available for ROM and overlay?

The 6.0MB your ROM is, does that mean it is the original factory or sysupgrade and not a current snapshot?

May be this is some miscalculation of the iw cli tools.
According to the debugfs the txpower is correct:

cat /sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phy0/netdev:phy0-ap0/txpower
cat /sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phy1/netdev:phy1-ap0/txpower

@Ansuel @robimarko
Any idea why the iw / iwinfo reported txpower is lower than the correct one from the debugfs?
And why this only occurs on specific ipq807x devices?

3 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Unable to install large packages - can I use USB storage for this?

I believe I am using the latest factory snapshot, I'm on "OpenWrt SNAPSHOT, r22570-8ecf160c47" which I installed yesterday from here: https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/ipq807x/generic/ Do I need to use the sysupgrade?

Sysupgrade is always to be used, once you have Openwrt installed.

1 Like

Well, I was interested in exactly that and was experimenting on Qnap, and there I always got the correct TX power displayed as FW returned it.

So, after that I kind of hit a dead end as mac80211 OP is returning the TX power based of a FW stats WMI call for VDEV and that seemed to work just fine

Quick question...

Will OpenWrt recognize 2x USB devices if I plugged a 'USB3 4-Port Portable Hub' into the DL-WRX36 single USB port, and have a USB printer & USB 3 thumb drive plugged into the Hub?

Yes it will work, just install needed usb drivers. Usually
kmod-usb-storage-uas and kmod-usb-printer

I seem to be falling at almost the first hurdle here, I've got SSH access into the router, but once I've set the boot envs to boot from USB and attached a FAT32 drive with the initramfs image on it, a reboot just lands me back in the OEM firmware with no clue as to what went wrong. I've tried a second USB drive and ensured they are MBR rather than GPT partitions in case that makes any difference and still no joy.

Plesae post the actual commands you used to change the boot envs.

fw_setenv bootcmd 'usb start && fatload usb 0:1 0x44000000 openwrt-ipq807x-generic-dynalink_dl-wrx36-initramfs-uImage.itb && bootm 0x44000000; bootipq'

Copy and pasted from the device page.

Are you 100% certain the image on the USB has the same filename as in the bootcmd?

admin@DL-WRX36:~# ls /mnt/USB/
System Volume Information
openwrt-ipq807x-generic-dynalink_dl-wrx36-initramfs-uImage.itb
admin@DL-WRX36:~# fw_printenv
bootdelay=2
baudrate=115200
oobd=2021-12-09T09:49:50Z
bootcmd=usb start && fatload usb 0:1 0x44000000 openwrt-ipq807x-generic-dynalink_dl-wrx36-initramfs-uImage.itb && bootm 0x44000000; bootipq

[quote="OmniBlade, post:1541, topic:110454"]
I seem to be falling at almost the first hurdle here, I've got SSH access into the router, but once I've set the boot envs to boot from USB and attached a FAT32 drive with the initramfs image on it, a reboot just lands me back in the OEM firmware with no clue as to what went wrong. I've tried a second USB drive and ensured they are MBR rather than GPT partitions in case that makes any difference and still no joy.I seem to be falling at almost the first hurdle here, I've got SSH access into the router, but once I've set the boot envs to boot from USB and attached a FAT32 drive with the initramfs image on it, a reboot just lands me back in the OEM firmware with no clue as to what went wrong. I've tried a second USB drive and ensured they are MBR rather than GPT partitions in case that makes any difference and still no joy.[/quote]

I see the current initramfs image has diferent size from the one i have in my disk, maybe something not built correctly.

Here is an older one to try

To my personal experience, "System Volume Information" will appear in NTFS file system.

Please double confirm if your USB is formated using FAT32 or not.

3 Likes

I have read that FAT32 should work but I used a FAT16 formatted USB stick.
If you make a partition < 4 GB then you can format as FAT16.
If all else fails worth a try?

OK thanks great, I want to purchase the DL-WRX36 and noticed it only had one USB port and I need the 2x USB devices working.

From there I'll need to purchase a USB3 4-Port Portable Hub, and power adapter converter.

The next hurdle will be installing OpenWrt, seems so much more difficult than flashing from the router's standard firmware upgrade page, or have I misunderstood the installation method?

The way I interpret it, from the Dynalink DL-WRX36 page, start from the section:
Option 2: Boot initramfs from SSH access on OEM firmware ?