Dumb AP can't connect to internet, wireless clients can

I recently Installed OpenWRT on my TL-WR902AC (using [OpenWrt Wiki] TP-Link TL-WR902AC v3 for installation, and [OpenWrt Wiki] Wireless Access Point / Dumb Access Point for dumb AP).
It works (which is nice) but the TPlink itself cant access the Internet.
The Devices that are Connected via WiFi can, its really just the Router/AP itself.
I dont really NEED internet, but I heard Software Updates were a good Idea...

Could anybody help?

Two things:

1. if you set your device with a static ip, you also need to specify the gateway (upstream router) and dns in order for openwrt to be able to connect to the internet.

Upgrading packages (via the CLI opkg upgrade command or the LuCI Upgrade... button) can result in major problems. It is generally highly discouraged, unless you know what you are doing or if there is specific instruction to do so.

2 Likes
  1. I did set up the Gateway - but to the wrong ip (by accident, hit the wrong key, 8 instead of 9)
  2. Good to know... I just would have soft bricked my Wifi...

Should I change the connection to the main router to DHCP? It does support it... I was just hesitant bc the tutorial/guide I followed did't mention it...

even if the GW is correct, the DNS needs to be there, add nameserver 8.8.8.8 to /etc/resolv.conf.
FYI the setting doesn't survive a reboot, when done like that.

you can change the LAN/br-lan to DHCP client, that will work too, and (preferably) add a static DHCP lease for the APs MAC, so it always gets the same IP.

1 Like

Usually it is preferable to set the dumb AP with a static IP, but you can use DHCP if you want. If you change to DHCP, it is a good idea to set your DHCP server to have a reserved address for your dumb AP so that it is always getting the same address. One downside/risk of using DHCP -- if you have any DHCP related issues on your network, you may have difficulty connecting to your dumb AP's management interface.

In order to add a DNS server address for your dumb AP, you can simply add that to the DNS field in the LAN interface configuration.

1 Like