Dumb AP, bridging and wireless

Hi all,

I just installed openwrt and luci on a xiaomi 4a gigabit.
i followed this guide: https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/dumbap
This xiaomi router should be used as an access point but not give DHCP or dns. That is handeled by the main router which is a wired connection between them.

How should I setup my wireless network ? Now I've set it as client, is that what it should be? or should I tick 'join network'

Im also not 100% sure if I linked the bridge correctly. Now I took Eth0 and WAN. is this correct? i Don't see WLAN

At the moment, I can only access the ap over wired connection. Not wireless.

Depends on your use case, doesn't it?

A dumb AP uses a wired connection to its main router that provides Internet, DHCP, DNS, etc.

A use case of a wireless connection to the upstream network usually calls for a routed client.

1 Like

Oops haha yeah maybe I should explain that one :wink: changed in OP

This xiaomi router should be used as an access point but not give DHCP or dns. That is handeled by the main router which is a wired connection between them.

it is indeed a dumb ap!

Go to network-wireless and create an interface of type AP, and attach it to the lan network. A dumb AP has only one network, the lan.

You can do this on both bands to have a dual band dumb AP.

I don't have to do anything described in the guide I gave above?

So, network wireless create acces point and insert ethernet cable in Lan port?

Yes, that's the outcome.

But some stuff have to be disabled, like the dhcp.

The guide should be what you need to do.

Well, In the guid it states to bridge the lan and WLAN, but I don't see a WLAN.
Or do I need to, as MK24 said, create an interface of type AP and attach to lan network? Remove anything els there?

If you don't see a WLAN then there's something with the modules for the wifi.

Boot up, and post your dmesg.

Resetted the router to default and used this older guide, without briding and stuff :slight_smile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMgs2XFClaM

know, I only need to create a lan port of the wan port...