DSL VLAN VPI/VCI questions

I'm trying and mostly failing to configure 21.02 - primarily through LuCi - to pick up the VDSL2 connection.

ISP provides the following information;
VPI = 8
VCI = 36
WAN devices needs to be DHCP (VLAN 100)

I get showtime on the DSL connection, I've set the ATM bridge VPI/VCI values *and Encapsulation mode LLC. I've configured an 802.1q device dsl0.100, and set it to DHCP.

and I get nothing. interface Tx's but gets zero Rx.

I feel like I've got all the pieces but I'm missing what ties all the bits together.

Who is your ISP ?
What is the modem router?

Please post your /etc/config/network config file (remove username and password)

VPI/VCI settings are for upto 20+ mbps ADSL2 connections.
VLAN will be for upto 100+ mbps VDSL2 connections

Study section 9 of this guide for Lantiq device for some useful information about configuring VDSL or ADSL connections.
https://openwrt.ebilan.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=266

May be out of date.
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wan/isp-configurations

ISP is Fastweb (Italy) and I'm using an AVM 7360v2
it's a FTTN/FTTC network and the DSL locks in VDSL2

config interface 'loopback'
option device 'lo'
option proto 'static'
option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config globals 'globals'
option ula_prefix 'fd21:1d01:8299::/48'

config dsl 'dsl'
option tone 'av'
option ds_snr_offset '0'
option annex 'b'
option line_mode 'vdsl'

config device
option name 'br-lan'
option type 'bridge'
list ports 'eth0.1'

config interface 'lan'
option device 'br-lan'
option proto 'static'
option ipaddr '192.168.1.1'
option netmask '255.255.255.0'
option ip6assign '60'

config interface 'wan6'
option device '@wan'
option proto 'dhcpv6'

config switch
option name 'switch0'
option reset '1'
option enable_vlan '1'

config switch_vlan
option device 'switch0'
option vlan '1'
option vid '1'
option ports '6t 4 2 0 1'

config device
option name 'dsl0'
option macaddr - removed

config device
option type '8021q'
option ifname 'dsl0'
option vid '100'
option name 'dsl0.100'
option macaddr - removed

config interface 'wan'
option proto 'dhcp'
option device 'dsl0.100'
option clientid '6f70656e777274'

there have been some changes since the last connection attempt (adding client id and the MAC of the ISP modem)

but basically if it looks right I'll try it again in the morning (in other posts by me, I get about 5-30 minutes in the morning to plug it in and try out the config) no User/Pass to obscure because the connection doesn't require it.

Can you confirm Luci -> Status -> Overview -> DSL status is reporting Status is 'UP', with data rate and Profile (eg. 17a?) displayed?

I thinks this should be removed?

config device
option type '8021q'
option ifname 'dsl0'
option vid '100'
option name 'dsl0.100'
option macaddr - removed

Here is an untested config, created in 19.07.8 and upgraded to 21.02.2 created on a HH5a:

config interface 'wan'
	option proto 'dhcp'
	option device 'dsl0.100'

config device 'wan_dsl0_dev'
	option name 'dsl0'
	option macaddr '10:d7:b0:45:7f:f1'

(Your device might not require wan_dsl0_dev section)

I also factory reset my HH5a (21.02.2) and set up dsl0.100 as per section 9.1 of my installation guide. It did NOT create a device section with option type 802.11q.

There is no mention of 'clientid' ?
https://www.fastweb.it/adsl-fibra-ottica/dettagli/altri-modem/
It also mentions VDSL2 support up to profile 35b.
As far as I'm aware, OpenWrt does not support super vectoring.

Can I suggest you factory reset the router to remove any rogue settings, and just set it up for dhcp and dsl0.100 as per section 9.1 of the installation guide for HH5a, and see if it internet works?

Manually type in 'dsl0.100' here:

tried as you suggested, reset, created the dsl0.100 as per the instructions and it created the 802.1q device it's self.

going to try letting it connect (dsl) before setting it to dsl0.100 to see if it doesn't automatically generate the 802.1q device, failing that I'll reset and manually edit the interface to see if it's LuCi that's automatically generating the interface and what happens.

facepalm turns out Fastweb (Italy) are MAC bound, it's a simple enough job to get them to change it, but I'll try cloning the MAC of the ISP modem first.

Maybe you could add that information the dsl config page in the wiki? Thanks in advance....

If I can get it to connect by cloning the MAC then I'll absolutely submit that information, if it turns out to be insufficient I'll add that you need to contact the ISP about changing the MAC, principally I still don't know if the configuration I have is going to work, I'm operating on a whole bunch of educated guesses.

1 Like

From further reading it's not just MAC locked, they also use vendor class identifier, what's not clear is how accurate the data needs to be or if it just needs something in the field...

I'll take another poke at it in the morning.

Oh and it appears to vary between regions in Italy, because Italy ...

okay, mixed success!

cloning the MAC and adding Vendor Class Identifier "SERCOMM VD4225R.FW" ~ Fastweb NEXXT

we have an IPv4 connection, (hurrah) and some peculiarities; wan_6 is a "virtual dynamic interface" with no options,, naturally no IPv6. this could be a configuration miss-step on my part.

going to do a factory reset in the morning and see if I've 'put the cart before the horse' somewhere