Dokumentation regarding ISP in Germany is a bit outdated

This is my first post and I want to say thank you to all the people how work hard on this project. It's amazing!

In the last days I tried to setup my new VDSL account her in Germany (1und1 as the service provider). I looked on this page regarding the configuration : https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wan/isp-configurations#germany

The task gave me a hard time! So I want to add the following notes:

FULL USERNAME: Getting the full user name from the ISP device (fritzbox) in the described manner is no longer possible and not necessary. One can get the user name in the online configuration center of the ISP (1und1 control center).

CLONE THE MAC ADDRESS! I got no authentication without cloning the MAC address of the fritzbox. Before that I had this kind of errors in the syslog: "Timeout waiting for PADO packets". One can get the MAC address of the WAN device of the fritzbox from the support file which is generated on the box and usually send to the ISP support.

VLAN ID: Worked only by adding the ID on the router. The alternative approach with adding the ID on the external modem wasn't successful.

CHECK THE DYNAMICALY CREATED INTERFACE: ds-lite created a new interface BUT this interface wasn't part of the correct firewall zone. If this is the case, one has to set the correct zone in the command line interface. In LUCI you can't change the configuration for the dynamically created device.

Some of these points took me realy a long time to sort them out. But at the end it worked and I'm happy with MY device at the end of the line.

Alexander

Device: Netgear Nighthawk X4S R7800, external Modem: ZyXEL VMG3006-D70A
Version: OpenWrt 19.07.7 r11306-c4a6851c72

2 Likes

You can help other users by updating the page.
Applying for OpenWrt wiki account