Does the OpenWrt version for TP-Link Archer C6 V3 work on V4?

I am thinking of buying a new router and I need OpenWrt. In my country, for my budget, TP-Link Archer C6 is the only good option. The problem is, OpenWrt is available for Archer C6 V2 and V3. But the version in my country is V4. Will the V3-compatible version of OpenWrt work with V4? The product looks identical to V3 but no information on its processor is available on the internet besides its 1.2 GHz clockspeed.

There's no way to be sure, until someone takes it apart, does the hardware/ software documentation and starts the porting. Usually for TP-Link, the new major version suggests major changes.

The FCC ID might provide some first hints though.

I do not have an unit on-hand, but here's what I found:

https://fccid.io/2AXJ4A6V4

Radios:
MediaTek MT-7762N, MT-7761N

CPU:
TP-Link ARM TP1900BN

Switch:
Realtek RTL 8367S

Edit:
FLASH (likely, bad photo) 8MiB (cFeon Q64-104HIP)

The CPU is not the same as V3. So, no idea if this can be supported at all, but it doesn't look like it will work with the firmware for v3.x

The Archer C80 has a "Mediatek ARM TP1900BN" CPU. Silk is different from the one in the Archer C6v4, where it says "TP-Link" instead of "Mediatek". That said, if it is the same SoC for OpenWRT purposes (very, very likely), then support for the Archer C6 v4.x should be as possible as supporting the C80.

I will see if there is mention of the amount of FLASH. If it is 4MiB, well, it will not be interesting for OpenWRT purposes.

Edit: the FCCID photos are really bad, but there is a cFeon chip, and it seems to be a q64-104hip. That would mean 8MiB FLASH, so it is potentially usable for OpenWRT depending on proper SoC support.

1 Like

Hi

I have bought TP-Link Archer C6 v4 yesterday and I was trying to install OpenWrt 22.03 for TP-Link Archer C6 v3 openwrt-22.03.2-ramips-mt7621-tplink_archer-c6-v3-squashfs-factory.bin. Not working :D. I received Failed to upgrade the firmware. Please check the configuration file and try again.
v3 is less and less available in stores and v4 is getting more and more popular. Is any option to install OpenWrt for TP-Link Archer C6 v4? Is any image can I use?

I can disassembly my v4 router and give some information about hardware if you want. Are there any plans for support TP-Link Archer C6 v4?

1 Like

did you read the rest of the thread ?

post photos of the internals, and a boot log from the serial console.
note, you own the device, you'll be adding the support for it.

Oh, sory, my bad. Should be

I was trying to install OpenWrt 22.03 for TP-Link Archer C6 v4

So I was trying to install v3 software into v4, not working :smiley:

Yes, but I had never done it before. I had never install OpenWrt via serial console,. I always install it via router website. Is it simple? How process of adding support for new device looks?

depends on the boot loader, and what else the manufacturer might have done.

i thought I wrote it in my last reply ?

then read

If you don't feel confident about this, either:

• be prepared for a steep learning curve and weeks of development work
  • or buy a different -already fully- supported device

there are no alternatives.

Here are some slightly better pictures I managed to take. Looks like you were right and it is a 8/64 flash/ram device. Pretty unfortunate since the v3 had 16/128.

Do you think this limits the devices performance very much? And are the wifi chipsets better than the ones in the v3?

Next major release of openwrt will be the last one, for those devices.

1 Like

Hello everyone,
I am new here.
I also have V4 device and I was wondering if someone managed to install OpenWrt on it.
If yes, please give me few tips.
Thanks!

1 Like

read the thread.

Sorry, I don't understand. Which thread?
Thanks!

the one you're (not) reading, at the moment.

1 Like

Hello @frollic
I did read this thread, but I still don't understand. Is it possible or not?
If yes- how to do it?
Thanks!

does it say anywhere it is ?
if it doesn't, it isn't.

OK, thank you!

C6 v4 us

Pic: