Dnsmasq missing options

When reading this documentation, I came across several configuration options that are not present in dnsmasq --help nor in the online man page of dnsmasq. As explained in the doc, there is no CLI man page in openWrt.

2 examples of the missing options are nonwildcard and notinterface.

So I am guessing the dnsmasq on openWrt is actually a modified version of dnsmasq, specific to openWrt.

How can I access the list of exhaustive options, and their explanation for the processes on openWrt, other than in the openWrt documentation? I have developed a habit of checking CLI usage with --help or man because I know wikis can sometimes get out of date, hence why I am asking,

With dnsmasq 2.84 on 21.02-snapshot there's a following option: -I, --except-interface=<interface> Specify interface(s) NOT to listen on.

If it's not exposed thru uci currently, you can:

1. Send PR to have it supported in uci
  2. Modify /etc/init.d/dnsmasq to explicitly add these options

If you have a look at /etc/init.d/dnsmasq, the either change should be obvious.

1 Like

You can put the options in /etc/dnsmasq.conf

1 Like

Search for the UCI option in the dnsmasq start script, /etc/init.d/dnsmasq, where you can find its translation to the dnsmasq CLI option. They do not necessarily resemble each other. For example, nonwildcard maps to --bind-dynamic.

1 Like

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.