Dnscrypt 2 from jedisct1

Hello
I am struggling with dnscrypt for a while now. Today I came across this thread which refers to a github account from jedisct1. The files there can be downloaded, however, the verification failed.

The pubkey is listed as RWQf6LRCGA9i53mlYecO4IzT51TGPpvWucNSCh1CBM0QTaLn73Y7GFO3, which I used for verification:

minisign -Vm dnscrypt-proxy-freebsd_armv7-2.0.25.tar.gz -P RWQf6LRCGA9i53mlYecO4IzT51TGPpvWucNSCh1CBM0QTaLn73Y7GFO3
Signature key id in dnscrypt-proxy-freebsd_armv7-2.0.25.tar.gz.minisig is 79833371EA15D7E4
but the key id in the public key is E7620F1842B4E81F

Maybe jedisct1 or someone else can advise.
Cheers
Oscar

If you haven't already done so, post an issue on that Github repo

1 Like

Nah, probably requires registration etc. Hope the guy sees his name when searching through the forum :thinking:
Seems DNS encrypted name resolution is not very popular ...

DNS encryption is not limited to DNSCrypt.
Also those who use VPN might not need to encrypt DNS specifically.

It seemed to me a good starting point to learn more about it. I saw vigorous discussions between those, whose expertise is far beyond mine. Discouraging for a beginner like me.

Let me put it this way: what would you recommend for this purpose, just for home use? Currently, I am stuck, as I am not going to install files that do not pass verification

Then you need to work with the author of the code, or build it yourself.

Major DNS providers prefer DoT/DoH over DNSCrypt.
DoH is a bit easier to configure, while DoT should have better performance due to less overhead.

1 Like

This is not the correct key. See the documentation: https://github.com/jedisct1/dnscrypt-proxy/wiki/Installation#verification-of-downloaded-files

libsodium and dnscrypt-proxy are unrelated projects.

1 Like

Thanks to Paris :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you for the advice, it provides a good starting point for digging into the topic.
Cheers
Oscar

1 Like