DNS does not resolve through wireguard tunnel

Hello. I've set up wireguard on my OpenWRT and configure it to tunnel all traffic from a specific interface(for more details, read this post) and pass the other interface directly to the WAN.

When I connect to the AP using DHCP configuration on the client side, the DNS queries will resolve by the OpenWRT, not the client side (such as phone or laptop), unless I set a static DNS Server (like 1.1.1.1 in IPv4), then DNS queries also pass through the tunnel. because of this, by default, my DNS traffic directly passes through the WAN and I got the DNS Leak problem.

I looking for a solution to announce the OpenWRT to resolve DNS traffic also using the wireguard tunnel.

Use option 6 in the dhcp advanced configuration under the interface that goes tunneled to advertise the DNS that users should use directly instead of querying OpenWrt.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot! now my DNS queries will resolving in the client side, not using the OpenWRT.
also, what this article about?
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/services/dns/intercept
I apply this part:

# Intercept DNS traffic
uci -q delete firewall.dns_int
uci set firewall.dns_int="redirect"
uci set firewall.dns_int.name="Intercept-DNS"
uci set firewall.dns_int.src="lan"
uci set firewall.dns_int.src_dport="53"
uci set firewall.dns_int.family="ipv4"
uci set firewall.dns_int.proto="tcp udp"
uci set firewall.dns_int.target="DNAT"
uci commit firewall
/etc/init.d/firewall restart

I expected these commands will block all outgoing DNS traffic(tcp/udp 53), but nothing's happened. is it really use for block DNS traffic or what?

It is used to force all hosts to use OpenWrt for NameServer, even if they are configured to use a different, like GoogleDNS.

2 Likes

After a few days of experience, unfortunately it is NOT a reliable solution! I notice that in windows os, sometimes suddenly my DNS traffic leaked and returns filtered IP by ISP. but sometimes, not always!

Then block on the firewall the forwarding from that interface to the wan.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.