DLink DIR-853 A3

I am also issued the same problem. Can you help me

Can you sent the firm were pls

Hi @UmErAli and @agry

If you scroll back up in this thread (july 21) you should find a mediafire link with instructions.

1 Like

Hi @kar200,

Kindly I Forget root password of DIR-853, and tried to follow fail safe process to change it, but no success

I'm not sure if I'm doing wrongly or such model doesn't support it,

Please let me know if failsafe technically possible and then I'll try again

Hi @samt

Not sure which firmware but it should be the same for all of them.

Boot the router and wait until it finished booting. Once that's done use a pin and press the reset button for about 10s. The router should reboot and have the default root password.

1 Like

how to pass this step.not letting me to go back to stock firmware

Did you copy the file to the /tmp folder? It seems you have the wrong file name.

You should use the tab autocomplete so it gets the correct filename.

1 Like

Hi @kar200

Router has firmware [openwrt-21.02.0-rc3-ramips-mt7621-dlink_dir-853-a3-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin]

But I believe if I press reset button, it will reboot to factory default and all current configuration will be lost,

However as per below link, failsafe process will let me to change password without losing current configuration,

@kar200. Tnx i upgraded router rom to padvan.
Now its interface is working perfect.now I need to connect to internet. And need to test

what should i write as file name .please say what to write file name

Ah yeah I think that's correct you will loose all the config.

Did you follow the document and used "mount_root"? Did you get any error message on the screen?

You have to connect to the Lan port1 (since DSA I believe ) and you might need to use a static IP address on your computer (192.168.1.X).

1 Like

Hi @majid

You have to use the filename of the file you copied. The file is not part of the firmware and needs to be copied first to the /tmp folder.

If you are using windows you can download winscp and then copy the factory stock firmware (non encrypted) to the /tmp folder.

How do I upgrade from this build to the official build?

Can you please elaborate a bit more about what "this" and "official" are?

What are you running now exactly and what do you want to flash instead?

1 Like

I replied to this post you previously made. I flashed that OpenWrt build from the Padavan build. Now, I want to know how to upgrade from that build to an official build (now that it got merged). I assume I just flash the sysupgrade image from LuCI?

Sorry I misunderstood your question.The answer is yes If you are on the openwrt firmware then yes you use the sysupgrade (and never tick the box to force the update).

There has been an instance recently where the snapshots were not working resulting in a device softbrick. The issue with the DIR-853 is the fact it does not have an accessible recovery method without a USB TTL.

I would advise against upgrading constantly the router. The only reason is due to the fact that the recovery is not simple (unless you are familiar with it).

Also keep in mind that the snapshot images do not have luci included (you can add it through SSH). The best way would be to build your own image from master and that way all the packages that you need will be inculded. A simple way would be to follow the instructions for the image builder here

1 Like

Thanks Kar.
"And padavan firmware does work as a wireless extender " Can you please let me know how to use the DLink DIR 853 as a range extender? I installed the firmware but trying since morning but no luck so far. Not sure if I am missing something. Any help is appreciated.

hi Kenan,
how did you set it up as a repeater? I am trying to do that but not able to.
I have a modem cum router on my first floor and i am trying to wirelessly extend the signal to ground floor by setting the DIR853A as a repeater but haven't been successful so far. If you don't mind, please let me know how to set it up?
Thanks a ton!

Hi @nathandrake1980

I found this looking online, By the way the firmware operations should be the same across devices.

Wireless -> Bridge -> Operational mode

There is a good wiki here for different options. They should have been kept on the Dlink as well.

https://bitbucket.org/padavan/rt-n56u/wiki/browse/EN

1 Like

will any other version dlink work on this firmware.etisalat version doesnt work mac filtering