Divested-WRT: No-nonsense hardened builds for Linksys WRT series

I would like to know if there is any way to try to make the new drives wifi work in version 19.x of openwrt, I tested it and yes, the offloading software works and it performs very satisfactorily, despite the kernel being old but the performance being quite capable, can anyone do it? that ?

I would say no. As @anomeome notes, it failed when I first moved to 5.15. I used it well after DSA, so it’s not related afik.

I guess you could try a 5.4 build, but that is not something I would advise.

@tamer.hassan (and anyone else) curious what kind of speed you get with these settings?

Me, I've yet to get 160MHz to be stable on my WRT32x.. My macbook (m1 from 2021) being held less than a foot from the wifi antenna's, alternates between 160MHz and 80MHz (but stays connected continuously), and my speedtest is not very impressive..

I've set channel 36 / 160MHz and force (as per your recommendation), and while I've got fibre half-gig so 500mbps up/down, i can barely get > 250mbps on the download (curiously upload often exceeds 350mbps) over wifi:

Meanwhile when i'm wired via ethernet, i can easily get a healthy 455mbps down and 520mbps up (i have SQM enabled on wan interface w/ the default settings).

Here's what my /etc/config/wireless looks like:

config wifi-device 'radio0'
        option type 'mac80211'
        option path 'soc/soc:pcie/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.0'
        option channel '36'
        option band '5g'
        option htmode 'VHT160'
        option cell_density '0'
        option country 'FR'
        option noscan '1'

config wifi-iface 'wifinet1'
        option device 'radio0'
        option network 'home'
        option mode 'ap'
        option ssid 'MyNetworkSSID'
        option encryption 'psk2'
        option key 'the-preshared-key'
        option wpa_disable_eapol_key_retries '1'
        option macaddr '60:xx:xx:xx:xx:12'

Also, I've never gotten WPA3 to be usable (after i try to connect, the router starts lagging more and more until it's unusable and needs a reboot) and have all but given up on WPA3 :-/

1 Like

160MHz and WPA3 are known to be broken on mvebu because of the mwlwifi driver, it's well documented on the doc page too. Stick with 80Mhz / WPA2 for this target (newer more performant wifi 6 devices like the DL-WRX36 is supported by OpenWrt now and does all the good stuff).

Nice results with ~500Mbit SQM, I get similar with perfect +0/0ms dl/ul zero bufferbloat. This about the max we can achieve on CPU0 with this aging device (maybe someday it'll get multi-cpu dsa to move some on CPU1, but unlikely for this target).

1 Like

yes aware and heard this so far a few times, but i thought some people had better experience than others, so i was hoping one of them would chime in too :slight_smile:

@SkewedZeppelin do you still advise leaving the AMSDU disabled (particularly on a WRT32x, not sure if this platform was ever affected)

WRT3200ACM / WRT32X have never been affected by the tx amsdu bug. Only WRT series with the 88W8864 chipset. Like with above this is well coverd by the doc page and even on the original bug report from 5 years ago.

FWIW, I’d just put that down to their particular use case. YMMV, but for all intents, it’s broke and hasn’t been fixed yet, if ever.

You will be a happier and less frustrated camper by adding a decent AP and turn off the radios.

1 Like

Also to keep in mind, developer jbsky has fixed AMSDU and WPA3 for that chipset (8864) for what should be included in a future pull request. No idea on when though.

Unfortunately he hasn’t been able to fix WPA3 for 8964 chipset yet until he has the hardware to test.

Some good things in store for mwlwifi.

1 Like

Patch where please.

the thread, but for some reason the author has chosen to work against the stable version?

Thanks. I saw that. I’m already at 6.1. I think I’ll pass.

This is probably my fault, I apologize. Since I have never built OpenWrt before nor have build environment, I have always asked him to build to match my stable releases for testing purposes.

We should definitely aim for 6.1 development though. I agree. I can always install daily release dev builds on my other partition.

It will be better once the 30+ commits get finalized and a PR is submitted.

I'm working with him on 6.1

2 Likes
Divested-WRT SNAPSHOT, r24088+10-2e3ea6d206
 -----------------------------------------------------
root@OpenWrt:~# irqbalance -d
This machine seems not NUMA capable.
Prevent irq assignment to these isolated CPUs: 00000000
Prevent irq assignment to these adaptive-ticks CPUs: 00000000
Banned CPUs: 00000000
Package 0:  numa_node -1 cpu mask is 00000003 (load 0)
        Cache domain 0:  numa_node is -1 cpu mask is 00000002  (load 0)
                CPU number 1  numa_node is -1 (load 0)
        Cache domain 1:  numa_node is -1 cpu mask is 00000001  (load 0)
                CPU number 0  numa_node is -1 (load 0)
Adding IRQ 79 to database
Adding IRQ 78 to database
Adding IRQ 25 to database
Adding IRQ 26 to database
Adding IRQ 27 to database
Adding IRQ 38 to database
Adding IRQ 39 to database
Adding IRQ 40 to database
Adding IRQ 41 to database
Adding IRQ 42 to database
Adding IRQ 43 to database
Adding IRQ 44 to database
Adding IRQ 45 to database
Adding IRQ 46 to database
Adding IRQ 47 to database
Adding IRQ 48 to database
Adding IRQ 49 to database
Adding IRQ 50 to database
Adding IRQ 54 to database
Adding IRQ 56 to database
Adding IRQ 58 to database
Adding IRQ 60 to database
Adding IRQ 61 to database
Adding IRQ 62 to database
Adding IRQ 63 to database
Adding IRQ 64 to database
Adding IRQ 75 to database
Adding IRQ 76 to database
Adding IRQ 77 to database
NUMA NODE NUMBER: -1
LOCAL CPU MASK: ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff,ffffffff

What is the general recommendation when it comes to be these options? Router in question: Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 running Divested-WRT SNAPSHOT r24088

Network > Interfaces > Global network options > Packet Steering (Default is disabled)

Network > Firewall > Software flow Offloading (Default is disabled)

Hardware flow Offloading (Default is disabled)

I have a 1Gbps symmetrical connection and wondering if enabling any of the above would make sense as my bufferbloat score sucks now (C)

Turn on packet steering.

Leave as default.

You can always try different permutations to test yourself.

fwiw, Software Flow Control is now a stopper for me on the same platform (previously enabled). Hardware Flow Control has never/won’t ever work.

1 Like

Thank you. Yes, I had issues with Software Flow Control. What's your bufferbloat grade like? Have you done any other optimizations?

1 Like

Did software flow offloading start breaking for you after upgrading to particular version?
I am running it just for routing and hence don't mind sacrificing wifi features to get a stable wired router with bufferbloat score of atleast A

@oli , what build & version do you recommend to get 1 Gbps on Upload & Download with atleast A bufferbloat score? I am using WRT1900ACSv2. Please advise on any additional tweaks that are required too (like irqbalance, packet steering, software offloading, hardware offloading, etc)