Disabling auto-rollback

Hi all,

I'd like to know how to disable Lucis's auto-rollback feature (i.e if I change network configuration and lose network access, Luci will automatically revert the configuration, but I don't want it to behave like this).

Thanks in advance

1 Like

Hi,

I'm kind of confused. When i change nertwork configuration and i loose network access OpenWRT is pretty stoic and sits and waits fore me to do something.

How do you change the Configs ? Is it possibel that you forgot to press the "Save & Apply" Button ?

Sounds more like default settings are working for you but your changes aren't being saved?

Or the OP is intentionally trying to change the network on which they're connected to the router. In which case, creating a separate management interface and connecting to that would be a reasonable and safe approach.

Just press "Apply unchecked" once the rollback dialog appears.

It would be really nice if this 'feature' could be disabled completely:

Apply a setting that OpenWRT thinks they would/could break network -> wait 30sec
OpenWRT rolls back the setting -> wait 30 sec
Apply unchecked -> wait again 30sec to revert the reverted settings

1 Like

This should only happen in very few selected scenarios, mainly when changing the LAN ip. It should not happen with all operations. If it does, you've encountered a bug.

1 Like

Issue appeared on deleting WAN6 and on changing the WPA2-PSK key - which is extremely impractical because the time it takes to set the new wireless key on the host the router has already rolled back to the old key again and you have to revert the key on the host just to "Apply unchecked"...

Model: TP-Link TL-WR710N v1
Architecture: Atheros AR9330 rev 1
Firmware Version: OpenWrt 18.06.1 r7258-5eb055306f / LuCI openwrt-18.06 branch (git-18.228.31946-f64b152)
Kernel Version: 4.9.12

So you were changing the PSK2 while connected wirelessly?

jungling around Luci interface for 30mins for a task that usually cost me 2min.

Most tasks on Luci won't cause connectivity problems, so this feature is useless. For configs that will, you should kindly ask newbie users to stay off, and give the power users full power.

In summary, please remove this feature/BUG, or at least make it optional.

1 Like

I want disable this feature too.

3 Likes

I add myself to this request.

It is a very good feature. But 30 seconds is too fast when you are doing structural topology changes.

Sometimes you are just bothered with stuff. Maybe you you have to swap out cables as well (to match the new IP you just gave) or have to wait for AP-STA to re-associate, because you have to change a AP remotely. Having it rollback is very safe if you do something stupid while re-configuring AP while connecting to it. Which is already somewhat unwise to begin with, so happy to have the feature. But 30 seconds is too short.

Ubiquiti has 180 seconds on theirs. I think that is a more sensible value.

Please does someone know how to either disable it or change the value from 30 to 180 (sensible) or even 300 (in cases one really need to perform labor to make it able to reconnect again) Maybe select the 300 second option for selected cases only.

Thanks

Feel free to change those values as you like, in /etc/config/luci add these section (and change it to your needs):

config internal 'apply'
        option rollback '30'
        option holdoff '4'
        option timeout '5'
        option display '1.5'
2 Likes

Thanks

Of course, I now have finished my battle with the device. Probably will not remember this next time until it is too late. But thanks anyway.

Did you find out how to disable this feature completely? It bit me last night trying to change the IP address (new subnet) and disable the DHCP server. Had to map a sequence out to where I was finaly able to make it happen. Would be nice to select the old method where you can save with one button to switch IPs and terminate the DHCP server in like was stated, 2 seconds instead of having to go into windows and set up static IP.

Please consider an option for disabling, as open source should be built on options and not always forcing a way that is thought better when the conceiver of the improvement has not worked through all the scenarios the change to a new way of doing things may affect.

**** Further description, it is typical to strap a new router to a laptop,, set it up on the default IP address, hit the Save and Apply key with all the changes you need for a new IP and subnet and then stick the router on the new subnet and access it through the live network. This is especially true if you are using the router as a server on the network and not the main router

****** Wish for the option to totally disable as the reset button on the back is my catastrophic recover method and not second guessing timeouts and what is happening with this - have bigger fish to fry than chasing rdummying up a safety feature - so please developer reconsider anything to "force" people to follow something that doesn't work for everyone.

edit /etc/config/luci settings

config internal 'apply'
	option rollback '30'
	option holdoff '4'
	option timeout '5'
	option display '1.5'
2 Likes

I read that - does that turn the feature off?

** looking for something to make it go away completelyn

**** it might take me an hour or a day to plug the router in the new location after I've configured it Or even a week in some circumstances.

You can't disable this rollback feature - just press the red "Apply unchecked" button after rollback and you're done.

1 Like

You can't press a button to talk to the router if the IP has been changed to a new subnet and you have disabled the DHCP server. When a massive configuration change is applied there is no one on the user side to approve it, because that line and interface exists no more.

If a openwrt router falls in the forest and no one is there, will anyone hear it?

Maybe I can just go in and edit the config files. Which ones do I need to edit to change to new subnet IP address and turn off DHCP?