Disable Netgear WAX202 LEDs in current snapshot

Hi all,
I use a Netgear WAX202 as a dumb wifi access point. Currently running openWrt 22.03.3 where I have successfully disabled all LEDs.
To test current improvements in the wifi, I installed a current snapshot version (r22252-f30757b94e). However, I can no longer deactivate the LEDs for the LAN ports.
Under "/sys/class/leds/" I can see differences depending on the version.

Output snapshot version:

ls /sys/class/leds/
blue:net      blue:wifi5g   green:power   green:wifi5g  mt76-phy1     orange:lan2   orange:power
blue:wifi2g   green:net     green:wifi2g  mt76-phy0     orange:lan1   orange:lan3

Output 22.03.3

ls /sys/class/leds/
blue:net      blue:wifi5g   green:lan2    green:net     green:wifi2g  orange:lan1   orange:lan3
blue:wifi2g   green:lan1    green:lan3    green:power   green:wifi5g  orange:lan2   orange:power

Does anyone here have an idea by chance how I can disable the Lan Port LEDs under the snapshot version? My attempts so far have all been unsuccessful.

Thanks in advance
Michi

Here's my WAX202 config from 22.03.5 (don't have "ls /sys/class/leds/" from this version but I had all available LEDs configured as OFF and router was dark, everything worked)...

config led 'led_internet'
	option name 'Internet'
	option sysfs 'green:net'
	option trigger 'none'
	option default '0'

config led 'led_lan1'
	option name 'LAN1'
	option sysfs 'green:lan1'
	option trigger 'none'
	option default '0'

config led 'led_lan2'
	option name 'LAN2'
	option sysfs 'green:lan2'
	option trigger 'none'
	option default '0'

config led 'led_lan3'
	option name 'LAN3'
	option sysfs 'green:lan3'
	option trigger 'none'
	option default '0'

config led
	option name '2g'
	option sysfs 'blue:wifi2g'
	option trigger 'none'
	option default '0'

config led
	option name '5g'
	option sysfs 'blue:wifi5g'
	option trigger 'none'
	option default '0'

config led
	option name 'power'
	option sysfs 'green:power'
	option trigger 'none'
	option default '0'

config led
	option name '2g1'
	option sysfs 'green:wifi2g'
	option trigger 'none'
	option default '0'

config led
	option name '5g1'
	option sysfs 'green:wifi5g'
	option trigger 'none'
	option default '0'

After upgrading to version 23.05.0

root@WAX202:~# ls /sys/class/leds/
blue:net      green:net     green:wifi5g  orange:lan1   orange:power
blue:wifi2g   green:power   mt76-phy0     orange:lan2
blue:wifi5g   green:wifi2g  mt76-phy1     orange:lan3

...and green LED lights for all LAN1-3 ports are ON all the time :frowning:

Found some mdio advice for similar issue on WAX206 (CLI command: mdio mt7530-0 0:0x1f raw 0x21 0x0008) but it didn't work on WAX202 and I have no idea/experience how to make it work. Will have to google more I guess.

Anyone knows who to contact or where to submit a bug to devs so they can fix this in next release?

22.03.5 - green:lanX (all LEDs off)

green:net     green:wifi5g  green:lan1	  orange:power
blue:wifi2g   green:power   mt76-phy0     green:lan2
blue:wifi5g   green:wifi2g  mt76-phy1     green:lan3

vs.

23.05.0 - orange:lanX (green LEDs on)

blue:net      green:net     green:wifi5g  orange:lan1   orange:power
blue:wifi2g   green:power   mt76-phy0     orange:lan2
blue:wifi5g   green:wifi2g  mt76-phy1     orange:lan3

...or if someone has experience how to make similar fix via mdio

WAX206:
mdio mt7530-0 0:0x1f raw 0x21 0x0008

It's not a bug and won't be fixed. It's by design. I discovered the same issue on the Release Candidate.

Thank you for those links. Read most of the posts and still can't understand why it was possible in 22.03.05 and not in 23.05 - I mean the option to chose if I can turn it off or let it be.
So if I just want to have those LEDs off I have to go back to previous version and if I want to have the latest security patches etc. I have to go mad in the evening from unwanted lights and put something in front of the device.

The link showing where it was removed from the 23.05.0 software code didn't clarify the matter for you?

Or re add the code aa a patch in your own customized firmware.

No, maybe I rushed through those post but as I don't care about offloading (if that's the thing you're pointing to) I didn't see clear information (or I just don't understand the topic) if it wasn't doing proper work with the option present in 22.03.05 no matter if it was set up to turn the lights off or in default setting. And it probably doesn't matter at this point.

Regarding adding the code as a patch...I'm sorry, but I don't know how to do that...too new. But certainly a topic I can now google and maybe play with if I feel confident not to break anything. So thanks for your prompt response.

1 Like

Perhaps you did rush. We were discussing LEDs, not offloading. The link clearly shows where the LED code was removed.

Feel free to make a feature request if you disagree or feel others will benefit. But I would advise reading more on why the LED control was removed.

1 Like