DHCP server not giving DNS IP after enabling AdGuard

Hi, if I follow this wiki guide: https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/services/dns/adguard-home.

Adguard home works only if I manually set the device's IP address to my router's IP. Otherwise the device isnt given any DNS server IP. Does anyone know what's going on?

1 Like

irrelevant question, redacted :wink:

no its a different one. i made sure to put that instead tho. the ip of adguard and the router are the same.

I've found a temporary workaround by specifiying a dhcp option instead.

1 Like

Oh, wow. This keeps me going nuts.

Don't know what is the problem, but i have different clients who get the DNS-Server set to 0.0.0.0 via DHCP as well.

How did you set the dhcp-option via luci? Something like "6,192.168.1.1", but i don't know if the quotation are needed...

I did an

uci add_list dhcp.lan.dhcp_option="6,192.168.1.1"
uci commit dhcp

via ssh

I hope the error doesn't return.

If you dont specify the option then its not set. Follow the guide and it will work.

The guide sets both the gateway and DNS servers in case you deploy the dns on a different device. This way clients know their ip address, the gateway and dns servers.

In Luci set it here. :

Can you provide this information from the guide/WIki? Do you have a link?

This seems inaccurate...unless you're referring to the AdGuard home package...?

OpenWrt assigns gateway and DNS (the OpenWrt) by default. Are you saying that some Adguard home guide explains that gateway and DNS will no longer be assigned when running?

1 Like