DGS-1210-10MP as a spin-off from DGS-1210-10P

Both implementations work fine in my experience. I'm currently using the C daemon, since I got the impression that it's closest to being accepted in OpenWrt. But it lacks an important feaure from the LUA implementation: The ability to toggle PoE on/off per port with a ubus call.

I'm sorry this situation has ended up as bad as this for the users, with no officially approved PoE management solution in sight. I feel responsible for that with my submission of @blogic's LUA code to the core repo: http://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2021-March/034238.html

I should have submitted that to the packages repo instead to avoid all the policy/design discussions.

Maybe we should just resubmit the LUA implemenation to openwrt-packages as a temporary solution while we're waiting for the Right Way To Implement Poe Daemons? That seems to be what other targets with PoE do.

1 Like

Ok, it has been my assumption also that the c daemon code will be implemented sooner or later.
The other one (1gen) PoE code isn’t updated any more as far as I know.

But I am a bit confused about this C code if I want to use it as a package for my use here and now!?
Where do I find the actual latest version of the code to download?
All links seems to be some kind of PR evaluations, mails or other kind of evaluations (perts or whole) of the actual code with + and - signs.

I don't know of anything more recent than the patch in patchworks. You can download the original patch from https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/openwrt/patch/20210511152243.1167160-1-john@phrozen.org/mbox/ (the "mbox" button on the top right), and apply it on top of current master (or any other branch where the realtek target is supported) with

git am /tmp/realtek-poe-add-support-for-PoE-on-Realtek-switches.patch

(assumting you dowloaded it in /tmp). It will show up as a new "realtek-poe" package which you can select.in e.g "make menuconfig". Or take the shortcut and just do

echo CONFIG_PACKAGE_realtek-poe=y >>.config
1 Like