Developer question about devices

Hello there!

This is mine first post about dev experience on real boards.

So i'm building package now that will run on OpenWRT, but have some "issues" on real devices.
Mine question is how proper to run it on real device?

I know how to build and run on x86 with or without virtualization. The issue there is that x86 comes with Gigahertz CPUs (even multicore), GB of ram and GB of disk space.
On real device (mips) there are MHz, few MB ram and probably kb of disk space.

So how proper to run package on devices? Is there some qemu that can emulate some "entry level" router? Because other way is to get some cheap TP-Link device and make USB mod (or get device with USB) and to run dev tools there.

PS: I have few dev boards - RPi 2, 3, OPi Zero, but they are too powerful too for what i'm looking for.

PS2: Is there some reference board with mips that can be used?

It's best to be more specific.
Try to install and run your software and describe the issues in detail.

CPU utilization and memory consumption.

1 Like

Optimize resource consumption if possible, otherwise consider splitting the package into client/agent/server and transferring data from the lightweight client/agent to the server for resource-intensive processing.

It's not possible unfortunately.

Example - trying to use AES256-GCM. But it's too resource heavy for intensive jobs. Switching to AES128-GCM, but it's also too heavy.

1 Like

There's a lot of hardware which is simply not designed to handle resource-intensive tasks.
Possible options are to upgrade/change the hardware, or to split/transfer the tasks to other hosts.

PS2: Is there some reference board with mips that can be used?

Of course. Buy a Meraki MR16; very constrained test environment, and it has soldered-on serial headers and a gigabit ethernet port.

1 Like