Determination of the kind of a paquet to block it with a Firewall

I tried many solutions but I am still open to another one if it does what I am looking for. I used OpenWRT because it can be ran with a RSBPi so I didn't have to buy a router. I am still open to suggestions for a router that can match what I am looking to do.
I already use Kubuntu on my laptop (no double boot). I am still learning so this is why I wrote this thread.

I actually have a VLAN setup doing what you described. So, it is possible. I wouldn't suggest this for a normal LAN setup, though.

It's your responsibility to determine:

• what traffic needs to be received by the router (e.g. DNS, DHCP, etc.)
  • Forwarding
  • and if you're that paranoid, what output from the device itself

You then make rules for them. Editing the output is risky; and an easy method to lock yourself out of the router.

1 Like

Maybe make a VLAN is a better idea but can I do this with the RSBPi I use as a router ?

I meant you will have to use the existing constructs to get anywhere....

Default POLICY

*filter
:INPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
:FORWARD DROP [0:0]
:OUTPUT ACCEPT [0:0]

Excerpt 1

-A INPUT -i lo -m comment --comment "!fw3" -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -m comment --comment "!fw3: Custom input rule chain" -j **input_rule**
-A INPUT -m conntrack --ctstate RELATED,ESTABLISHED -m comment --comment "!fw3" -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --tcp-flags FIN,SYN,RST,ACK SYN -m comment --comment "!fw3" -j syn_flood
-A INPUT -i br-lan -m comment --comment "!fw3" -j zone_lan_input
-A INPUT -i eth0.2 -m comment --comment "!fw3" -j zone_wan_input
-A FORWARD -m comment --comment "!fw3: Custom forwarding rule chain" -j **forwarding_rule**
-A FORWARD -m conntrack --ctstate RELATED,ESTABLISHED -m comment --comment "!fw3" -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -i br-lan -m comment --comment "!fw3" -j zone_lan_forward
-A FORWARD -i eth0.2 -m comment --comment "!fw3" -j zone_wan_forward
-A FORWARD -m comment --comment "!fw3" -j reject

See above.....

The INPUT chain input_rule is parsed prior to conntrack ACCEPT existing
The FORWARDING chain forwarding_rule likewise

For a beginner these are the ideal places for you to add custom rules.

Packets to the router in input_rule
Packets beyond the router in forwarding_rule

Next NOTE the default filter policy....

INPUT = ACCEPT so you will be DROPPING
FORWARD = REJECT so you will be ACCEPTING

These are overridden with the following;

config zone
	option name 'lan'
	option input 'ACCEPT'
	option output 'ACCEPT'
	option forward 'ACCEPT'
	option network 'lan'

Which inserts end of chain ACTIONS in each of the relative "zone" chains

-A zone_lan_forward -m comment --comment "!fw3" -j zone_lan_dest_ACCEPT
-A zone_lan_input -m comment --comment "!fw3" -j zone_lan_src_ACCEPT
-A zone_lan_output -m comment --comment "!fw3" -j zone_lan_dest_ACCEPT

You'll notice that the TARGETS are not just ACCEPT but more CHAINS that perform further logging or sanity checks

-A zone_lan_dest_ACCEPT -o br-lan -m comment --comment "!fw3" -j ACCEPT

So that is a brief dissection of the rule flow.... and a good place to start for you with perhaps adding some rules in /etc/firewall.user .... i.e.

-A  input_rule -i br-lan -p udp -m udp --dport 53 -m comment --comment "onrouterdnsdrop" -j DROP
-A  forwarding_rule -i br-lan -p udp -m udp --dport 53 -m comment --comment "beyondrouterlandnsdrop" -j DROP

To which you could add source ip's to..... it's not efficient.... but is a clear way to get a foot in..... the other would be the gui.....

And a safer approach......

-A  input_rule -i br-lan -p udp -m udp --dport 53 -m comment --comment "testonrouterdnsdrop" -j LOG
-A  forwarding_rule -i br-lan -p udp -m udp --dport 53 -m comment --comment "testbeyondrouterlandnsdrop" -j LOG

And the last one;

iptables -N loglimit
iptables -A loglimit -m limit --limit 2/sec --limit-burst 12 -m comment --comment "loglimit-watchingdawabbit" -j LOG
iptables -A loglimit -m comment --comment "wabbit" -j RETURN
-A  input_rule -i br-lan -s watchip/32 -m comment --comment "testonrouterdnsdrop" -j loglimit
-A  forwarding_rule -i br-lan watchip/32 -m comment --comment "testbeyondrouterlandnsdrop" -j loglimit
1 Like

Does it means that like everything is blocked, it let the priority to the rules of "input_rule" ?

it means that the next rule in the sequence ( after that chain is iterated )

lets established traffic through ... so you will not have access to those streams anymore.

fine for most practical uses.... not fine when your learning.

This means we add a comment to a custom rule called "input_rule" or the double stars have another meaning ?
I imagine I have to create it first ?

That is the EXISTING rule.

The * * is bold but I put it on code tags..... they are not part of the actual default "iptables-save" output.

Ahh I didn't pay attention of the ** BOLD signification in the forum.
So the name of the rule is only "input_rule".
I read a lot about what you wrote before trying to get more explanations. I start to understanding but still need to organize it in my head

INPUTS ACCEPTS means to me :
it filters the inputs by accepting all the connections ports from 0 to 0 which means it doesn't accept anything ?

1 Like

practical application.... will help alot.....

you can just enter those commands manually....
( examples i wrote after "perhaps adding some rules in /etc/firewall.user .... i.e." )

if something breaks or is not right.... just do a

/etc/init.d/firewall restart

easy! glad to hear your making progress :slight_smile:

No idea what "[0:0]" means.... ignore it, or tell me and we'll both know :wink:

1 Like

So the extract below come from your default iptables ?

I tried this but my device from which I want to isolate is still working :frowning:

I tried many of the iptables commands things, but I still don't know how to do a "blocking everything by default except this and this".

I struggle so hard :frowning:

It's not hard:

• BLOCK everything in the zone using BLOCK/BLOCK/BLOCK, you do this on the General Firewall page
  • Remove the rule permitting traffic from this zone to WAN
  • At this point stuff will stop working (for this reason, I suggest you do this to a 3rd, untrusted VLAN, leaving LAN intact)
  • Allow everything you want
  • Done

You need to mainly consider:

• Allow DHCP requests
  • Allow DNS requests
  • Allow Forwarding of clients to WAN
  • access to SSH and LuCI
1 Like

I think it's also a better thing to not do it on the LAN.
So it will be like WAN --> LAN --> VLAN (virtual network on which my device is connected)
So how can I do that ? Should I do it directly using LuCi ?

I guess it's different than a ZONE ?

No, it would be <name_of_network> --> WAN

Are you saying that this is a virtual router?

And yes, you'd create a new network Interface and Firewall zone, then add this VLAN to a switch port/attach a WiFi SSID. You will basically make a copy of the LAN configs from the network and dhcp files, and rename/renumber its IP and VLAN number (in most devices the next free VLAN ID is 3).

This is getting more complex and requiring more skills than just figuring out packets.

<name_of_network> will be the name of my VLAN ? I don't understand why it comes before the WAN interface.

It's a raspberryPi with OpenWRT and I am not sure what you mean by "virtual router" ?

This I can do.

This I am not sure how to, I will have to use another USB port of the raspberryPi I imagine ?

This I should be able to do.

Exactly, but I see the VLAN at the best solution to make a "blocking by default except this and this" on my configuration.

Really? Just flip what I wrote. In your config, you permit traffic from a network to WAN. It doesn't matter to me how you note it, as long as you configure it properly in your router.

:man_facepalming:
If you only have one port available, you'll have to do this via WiFi only, or convert the port to a trunk (if you have a managed switch available).

I hope it works out. Personally, I found this much easier on a device with more ports and can be configured to have different SSIDs. I'm just saying...

I can't make a VLAN with the RaspBerrryPi because the "Switch" option is not available and Wifi is not supported(if I don't say bullshit). :frowning:

Next actions : invest in a router :slight_smile:

It's possible to use VLAN tags if you connect the port to a managed switch or another device which supports VLAN tags. Refer to the interface page in luci:

You can also use VLAN notation INTERFACE.VLANNR (e.g.: eth0.1).