Detect 802.11w hardware support

Following on from this post which I believe is correct and a good summary of how older devices handle 802.11w:
Successfully get WPA3 support for old hardware with a self-compiled OpenWrt snapshot source code - For Developers - OpenWrt Forum

I have a wndr3800 which if i enable WPA3 it drives the cpu to almost a standstill and comes pretty close to a soft-brick situation.

Is there any reliable method for detecting hardware capability of 802.11w or whether it will offload to software?
I found this article which suggested checking iw or a bit easier the hwflags in the ieee80211 debugfs, however the wndr3800 reports it is "MFP_CAPABLE" which would contrary to my high cpu usage findings. Is this incorrectly identifying that it is capable of emulating this in software?

Edit: Here is the patch which causes the above behaviour, not that it gets me any closer to the answer
git.openwrt.org Git - openwrt/openwrt.git/blob - package/kernel/mac80211/patches/ath9k/450-ath9k-enabled-MFP-capability-unconditionally.patch

2 Likes