DD-WRT "Repeater Bridge" Using OpenWrt

DD-WRT has a mode that only works for Broadcom chipsets. It is called a "Repeater Bridge" and it is not a relayd type bridge.

Here is a link to the DD-WRT "Repeater Bridge" diagram -- https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Image:Repeater_Bridge.jpg

DD-WRT "Repeater Bridge" wiki page -- https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

In the DD-WRT "Repeater Bridge" scenario there is a Primary, Internet connected router that uses a wireless bridge to connect to a Secondary router on the same subnet as the Primary and all devices (hosts) on the Secondary share the same subnet address as those on the Primary..

From the diagram the DD-WRT "Bridge Repeater" diagram it is clear that this mode not a client type relayed repeater like the OpenWRT Wifi Extender or Repeater or Bridge Configuration -- https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/relay_configuration

I would like to implement this "Repeater Bridge" mode on a Linksys WRT1900ACSV2, but since it has a Marvell chipset and not a Broadcom, it cannot be done with DD-WRT.

I have two questions:

1. Can the DD-WRT "Repeater Bridge" scenario be implemented in OpenWRT?

2. If the answer to 1 is yes, can it be implemented on a non-Broadcom router like the Linksys WRT1900ACSV2?

1 Like

Plenty of ways to implement a Layer 2 wireless bridge. Perhaps the simplest is WDS, which can be configured in the GUI, from what I understand. More details at https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/atheroswds

WDS does require the AP to be configured for WDS. The Broadcom "relay bridge" is implemented entirely at the client and can work with a standard AP. There is no direct equivalent to it in open source.

WDS is an IEEE standard so it should interoperate reasonably well between different chip vendors and drivers.

Thank you jeff.

Thank you mk24.

Hi to me is more difficult.

I get as ddwrt everything is on 192.168.1.x

While relayd has one side 192.168.2.x and the other as 192.168.1.x ?

Am I right ?

Re:

Yes, that is correct.

relayd is not Layer 2 bridging -- it is an IPv4 "hack" that connects distinct subnets in ways that enable many functions that typically depend on on-link and in-net addressing to work.

1 Like

Hello Jeff, MK24, it's me again!

OK, here is the situation. I have my ASUS router running tomato, with a USB HDD as DLNA. TV is a bit far, so connection isn't always so stable. I have the Archer C7 that I just fixed and flashed with OpenWRT, thanks ot you guys.

I would like to keep the Asus as the main router, in order to keep an eye on bandwidth usage by individual devices, since I have limited bandwidth. (Also Archer C7 signal is comparable to Asus RT-AC66U, so replacing the Asus with the Archer won't solve the signal strength issue.

I am considering using the Archer as a repeater/extender/bridge to provide more coverage so that TV has more stable signal. I would like both devices to be on the same subset, so that I have the DLNA server accessible form both the TV and the laptop.

My understanding was that WDSworks between same shipsets deices only. @mk24 Did you try it between different chipsets?

If WDS isn't possible, then would this solution be my best bet?

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/relay_configuration

Thanks

Sorry @dkwalton for hijacking your post!

OK, so I went on and tried the relay bridge-like implementation as in the Repeater_Bridge post mentioned above.

I have 2.4 and 5 GHz bands in both routers: main ASUS RT-AC66U running AdvancedTomato and "repeater" TP-Link Archer C7 running OpenWRT 18.

I used the 5 GHz band for the link between the two routers, and kept the 2.4 GHz for the other client devices. My ultimate goal is to have the 2.4 GHz on both routers to share the same settings to allow easy roaming of devices, but for the sake of testing I gave it a separate SSID to confirm whether it's providing internet access or not.

I found out that I can get internet form the "repeater" via the cable only (still on the main subnet 192.168.1.0/24) but not via WiFi.

I understand that the method is not guaranteed, but thought I could post my screen shorts in case I am missing something.

Interfaces Wireless Master

WDS/ 4addr works between different chipsets, but the driver needs to be based on mac80211 and support 4addr - which restricts it to free in-kernel drivers (which tomato most likely doesn't use).

I have used it between ath9k and old Mediatek (rt2880) chipsets.

OpenWrt uses the newer IEEE standard version of WDS rather than the older ones which were often proprietary to one chip manufacturer.

1 Like

Thanks.

Any thoughts as why would wired connection provide internet while wireless don't, as mentioned in my previous post?

• VLANs involved, which aren't supported directly by 802.11
  • WDS, while the packet format is standard, what you do with that information is not and you're running a non-OpenWrt ROM on the other router
  • relayd is an IPv4 hack and may not be properly configured on the devices involved

The way I would diagnose this is using tcpdump or wireshark.

1 Like