Davidc502- wrt1200ac wrt1900acx wrt3200acm wrt32x builds

Well, it is easy, it is just a file. I have not had a lot of time to finish it yet. The sysupgrade is a tar ball, that contains the file kernel. According to binwalk, there is an xz compressed file in it at the third offset, but when binwalk and I extract it (and in both cases the files match), unxz complains about the file format; the magic does not seem to match either. binwalk can still uncompress it and that is the kernel to get the version from. I might be missing some padding to get rid of. I will see if I can find time soon.

Hello David,

Thanks for making this lovely build it really makes my wrt1900ac v1 quite useful now wireless is very stable. Unfortunately something seems to be limiting my eth ports to around 300Mb I've disabled most all features like QOS or SQM and left most other settings stock. I believe I was able to achieve full gigabit through the switched ports in the latest Openwrt build. Is there a setting I maybe missing somewhere?

This may not be the place to ask this, but how do you update the openvpn file in /etc/config and make it work? If I update the file and then go back into Luci and go to services > openvpn it shows a blank configuration. Then trying to make updates in Luci fail.

So how do I update the openvpn file and get Luci able to see the updated openvpn file.

I like using the flat file versus an ovpn file.

Thanks

First, make sure the instance in LuCi is the instance being edited in the /etc/config/openvpn file.

Example: I have an instance called "TorGuard_AES128CBC_SHA256" in LuCi.

So, in your openvpn file, the instance should be named like below. All the configurations are below that line.

config openvpn 'TorGuard_AES128CBC_SHA256'

There can be multiple instances, so I wanted to be sure you were editing the right one.

Its not the instance it's the whole /etc/config/openvpn file. Once Luci (or whatever in the underlying structure) blows out, none of the configs are visible. All Luci shows is a blank config screen. Even if I rename a backup of the openvpn file back to openvpn, it does not use it. Its almost as if its marked dirty. The only way I found around this is to delete the /etc/config/openvpn file, reboot, and a new blank one gets recreated that I can add an instance to. But if it gets manually edited, you can wind up in the same situation again.

While I mentioned Luci, does the interface basically suck or is it something in my build? For instance, if I am on the OpenVPN instances screen, and I hit edit to edit one of the instances, it puts me in a basic edit screen. If I hit switch to advanced configuration, it goes to a loading screen and sits there forever. I need to go back and repeatedly go through this process over and over before I get to the advanced configuration. Its taken up to 10 minutes to get it to work. I see this happening all over Luci in other configurations. I have two routers running this and they act exactly the same. Any idea what the problem is? Its very frustrating. Thanks...

That is very strange indeed! I'm assuming LuCi Rosy is used? Please remove that Theme, and try the same configurations with bootstrap.

driver on wrt1200ac has problems to handle situation

daemon.err hostapd: Failed to set beacon parameters

https://pastebin.com/8XFrJe9a cant reneber 18.06. or your ??

https://pastebin.com/5bnzgPDa

http://openrouter.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4680

That worked better with bootstrap. Still hangs some, but not nearly as bad. Thanks

1 Like

David502c -

Thanks for all your great work! I have a question / request, please...

Is there a single page on your site (or elsewhere) which provides a changelog of all recently released versions?

I'm currently running Kernel 4.14.91 (r9028?) on my WRT1900ACS after updating a couple of months ago. Due to a small nagging wifi issue, I'm considering upgrading to see if it helps, but can't find a list of what has changed in builds since that release which is why I'm asking. I guess updating regardless wouldn't hurt, but am tedious to do the fear of potentially loosing some of the many configurations I have. When upgrading using ...sysupgrade.bin, I know it keeps the configs, but it does also keep packages I installed myself; right?

Thanks!

Actually, it doesn't keep the packages installed by you, but it does keep all the configurations, so after upgrading and installing those packages it will have the configurations from last time.

I do have a change log of changes I make to the "make menuconfig". But I don't have a change log of all the package changes/upgrades/kernel/system etc since the last build..

OK - appreciate the fast reply. Glad I asked before proceeding with upgrade. I guess that makes since if configs are stored in files which I assume are not affected by the upgrade. So basically, if I install the upgrade then reinstall any packages needed; their configs will automatically be applied as if they are default, correct?

Concerning the changelog, I'm not familiar with "make menuconfig", but will just note that if there was a dedicated "ChangeLog" or similar page/link on your homepage; I'd consider it a welcome addition - even if it's only for future versions.

One more thing... What exactly are the files "openwrt-mvebu-cortexa9.manifest" & "config.seed" for alongside the downloads? Thanks

Thanks again

Correct.

The manifest are extra packages in the build. You can look it over, but all the extra stuff like OpenVpn, Stats collection, dnscypt-proxy, LuCi Rosy, openssl, just to name a few.

The config seed could be used to create/compile your own images and packages that would be very similar to these builds. Over the years there have been a few people who wanted to create their own build just like the ones provided here, and the config.seed would be used to do that.

Ok, I'm posting way too much. This problem is just bizarro. Anyway, I have two wrt1200ac routers running @davidc502 latest build. One is running the private internet access VPN and the other is running ExpressVPN. That is unrelated. Anyway, I have them both just using the 5.8ghz wireless band. Setup with one on channel 36 and the other on channel 161. When I look at a wifi analyzer, they both alternate and drop out. That is, both are not up at the same time. One comes up and the other is not, then vice versa. Nothing changes on the 2.8ghz band if I have them on there. But I really don't want to use them on there. I have not analyzed the logs, but nothing seems to be going on in if you look at the adapters in Luci. I've used multiple platforms for the wifi analyzer and they all see the same thing. Any ideas? Thanks.

Does it happen when just one router's wifi is active? Or only both?
Also, are the clients having to re-authenticate/Join?

Both can run individually fine. Its only when both are turned on at the same time. No the clients don't reauthenticate, but there is a hiccup when this happens. The WiFi sniffer shows all networks up at the same time. So I can see everyone there. These two just go up and down like a game of whack a mole. What was the previous issue with the WiFi driver?

And it gets real interesting here. I have another wrt12000ac t that is running the ExpressVPN firmware. Which is a 15. Something. Each router will coexist fine with that one. Its only when they are both running this build. Weird...

Quite interesting.... Could you be a little bit more specific how it's look like? And how do you measure it?
I have 1900acv1 before, it servers full Gbit on this firmware...

1 Like

Hi,
I have a WRT32X. I flashed you Build and at first everything worked. I upgraded with the latest firmware from 16.03.2019 and at some point, I just can't say when 5Ghz stopped working.
It is listed as
Generic 802.11 Wireless Controller
It won't get displayed after a reset.

From Logs:

[    8.327920] <<Marvell Mac80211 Wireless PCIE Network Driver version 10.3.8.0-20181210>>
[    8.336027] pci 0000:00:01.0: enabling device (0140 -> 0142)
[    8.341871] ieee80211 phy0: priv->pcmd_buf = dd8ac000  priv->pphys_cmd_buf = 1d8ac000
[    8.390433] ieee80211 phy0: fw download start
[    8.390438] ieee80211 phy0: ddr init: download start
[    8.390818] ieee80211 phy0: ddr init: download complete
[    8.529189] ieee80211 phy0: FwSize = 450732 downloaded Size = 450732 curr_iteration 65521
[  336.205610] ieee80211 phy0: Exhausted curr_iteration for fw signature
[  336.212085] ieee80211 phy0: cannot download firmware image <mwlwifi/88W8964.bin>
[  336.219567] ieee80211 phy0: firmware init fail
[  336.224030] ieee80211 phy0: fail to initialize firmware
[  336.229353] mwlwifi: probe of 0000:01:00.0 failed with error -5
Thu Apr  4 03:57:56 2019 daemon.notice netifd: radio0 (11296): Could not find PHY for device 'radio0'
Thu Apr  4 03:57:56 2019 daemon.notice netifd: radio0 (11330): WARNING: Variable 'data' does not exist or is not an array/object

In settings for "Operating frequency" it shows blank options. editing the config to set "DE" as county code for all didn't help.

I flashed Linksys Stock Rom over SSH and there 5Ghz won't work as well, the GUI has some issues with not loading (rebooting vom GUI won't work e.g.) and WLAN is only active once after initial Setup (only 2,4Ghz). After a reboot it will get deactivated and can not be turned on again (both 2,4 and 5 Ghz).

I tried a lot, flashing (previous firmware), resetting, (re)installing packages and driver. It showed the third WLAN interface but now this has the same issue as the 5Ghz (Generic device and blank options and can't find PHY for device).
-> iw phy - shows only the 2,4Ghz device

Is there a chance this is a defect? I already searched a lot but didn't find a solution.
Mostly it seems to be "firmware not found" instead of "cannot download".
Is there anything I can try?

Thanks, Znrl.

Please run the following command. We will see if the firmware is in this directory.

ls -l /lib/firmware/mwlwifi/

Yes, thats what I meant with it's not the "not found" thing I guess.
And thats how I interpret the log. It show the size, so it found the firmware.
The error comes from row 260 @ https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/blob/master/hif/pcie/fwdl.c
It seems to fail some kind of check afterwards. But I'm not really into that code.

OpenWrt SNAPSHOT, r9614-b61495409b
 -----------------------------------------------------
root@OpenWrt:~# ls -l /lib/firmware/mwlwifi/
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        118776 Mar 14 22:55 88W8864.bin
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          2140 Mar 14 22:55 88W8864.bin.Marvell_license.txt
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        489932 Mar 14 22:55 88W8897.bin
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          2140 Mar 14 22:55 88W8897.bin.Marvell_license.txt
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        450732 Mar 14 22:55 88W8964.bin
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          2140 Mar 14 22:55 88W8964.bin.Marvell_license.txt

edit: I just reflashed stock firmware a 2nd time and it doesn't change anything.
Dashboard e.g. doesn't load at all. Clicking reboot will show the progress bar but doesn't actually reboot the router and WLAN can't get activiated, the menu only works after a click plus reloading the page, it shows Javascript errors in the console.
This is actually the reason why I guess that there could be a defect when it doesn't only affect OpenWRT. The router is quite new, then it either was a bad model or sth. caused damage to the wifi controller.
I might try things until monday and return it otherwise since this is still possible.