Davidc502- wrt1200ac wrt1900acx wrt3200acm wrt32x builds

I did not. Thanks for clearing up my admittedly simplistic question :grinning:

1 Like

They should be a part of the default build. At one time I thought they were, but may have been removed due to an issue. So, re-added them to be in future builds.

Thanks for your reply i have the WRT 32X Venom however its the first time i have seen this 3rd Wifi show up, all your other build didn't show it however i have placed a # in front of the whole section now so its like

#config wifi-device 'radio2'
#option type 'mac80211'
#option channel '36'
#option hwmode '11a'
#option path 'platform/soc/soc:internal-regs/f10d8000.sdhci/mmc_host/mmc0/mmc0:0001/mmc0:0001:1'
#option htmode 'VHT80'
#option disabled '1'

So it now no longer shows.

1 Like

Channel change seems to have done the trick for the time being. Thank you so much.

Quick question: I have noticed that both radios run at maximum power but I have done some Reding suggesting that I should lover them to maybe 18db.

In terms of performance and reliability should the radios always run at max power?

Successful upgrade from the stock wrt3200ACM firmware to David's version (thanks David). Wondering if there is a quick list on how to optimize wifi. No complaints so far, but wondering if others have settings they think are mandatory.

Saw several vids on youtube where folks were adjusting settings in the CLI. No probs doing that, but want to get a sense of what changes are recommended.

W.

Unfortunately, the mwlwifi driver isn't capable of reducing the power output anyway, so it's a bit of a moot point

Can you elaborate please, how to check this?

After some investigating it appears someone had deliberately screwed up the webpage, and everyone's rights to edit were taken away but just a few people.

Edit rights have been given back, and the third party section in the page has been corrected, so all the broken links work again. < Thanks for your help @lantis1008

This is probably a dumb question. I have experience with dd-wrt, but am having speed problems when using a VPN. I'd like to try David's build on a wrt1200ac v2. It says he builds for both v1 and v2 but when I go to the download link it says it's for v1. Is there another place I should be looking or does the build work on both v1 and v2? I've searched but have not found anything. Thank you from a noob here!

1 Like

I've been using Davidc's Caimen builds on multiple wrt1200ac v2 for more than a year now (I'm sure the routers are v2). It's always been working fine!

Let me take the chance to say thanks to David C for his work !

What I can't tell is if the builds would work on v1 (I'm not having any such HW variant).

But I cannot see any hardware version being mentioned on the dowload page. Unlike for the other wrt routers I can only see OpenWrt Caimen wrt1200AC (w/o HW version) for the wrt1200ac.

Hope that can allay your concerns a bit. 73 de DJ3MU

2 Likes

I'll go back and mark the 1200ac as v1 or v2. There isn't a v2 build, so the one listed will do either.

Tell me what kind of speeds are you getting with VPN currently? Also, is the router a client or in server mode? What speeds are you getting without VPN?

Thanks,

David

P.S. I see you are a first time poster, so welcome to the community.

1 Like

Thanks for all your hard work; latest build working perfectly on my WRT32X. Got everything set up as I wanted; always on VPN Wireguard connection to Mullvad. I don’t use wireless on the router; I have a pair of EAP225 APs, so I just use the WRT32X as primary router.

Quick question: do the processors on these routers run at their native clockspeed? The WRT32X is advertised as running at 1.8ghz; just curious if there is a way to verify the clockspeed with your build.

1 Like

Yes, they do run at their native clockspeed. In fact some do not like the fact that they do run that way and want cpu scaling. You can read more about that here.

Command to look at the processor.
cat /proc/cpuinfo

Also look at the command ........
# htop

Good deal on the Wifi APs. If I needed more out of my Wifi that is what I would do. How do those EAP225 handle the DFS channels on 5Ghz?

Thanks,

David

Anyone had an issue where the speedtest-nerf package does not appear in the services tab when installed? Do i access this service somewhere else?

I think for any further assistance with this subject you'd be better off asking at http://forums.plex.tv (I'm around pretty regularly).

Come back here if you have any OpenWrt specific queries, though :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Thank you David. Yes newbie here but computer engineer all my life. So I'm just going to talk about a single wireless device. Speeds are different on a hard connection. So without any VPN I can get 50 Mbs through the WRT1200ac. I put dd-wrt on it and set up using openVPN client. In this instance with, ExpressVPN using their instructions I get roughly 15Mbs. This is true of many of their servers that I tried on the east coast. I experimented with Private Internet Access, IPVanish, and NordVPN. Most of the others average about 12Mbs. Reading the dd-wrt groups, I see many people saying that since OpenVPN is single threaded, you can't really expect much more out of it then what I was seeing on my router.

I had a friend that gave me his old WRT1200AC. So for the nuts of it, I put the ExpressVPN firmware on it, which is OpenWRT based I believe. Much to my amazement I get a pretty consistent 30Mbs out of it. Sometimes a little more. I am very happy with that.

So I figured I'd try the regular OpenWRT on it and see if I can repeat what the ExpressVPN firmware does. I'd like to configure it for Private Internet Access since I still have time remaining with them.

That's about the story of what I am trying to do. Thanks again for your help. Glad I found this group.

1 Like

I’ve had nothing but positive experiences with the EAP225. Come with passive PoE injectors in the box. Great range and speed, band steering, support AP roaming with a recent firmware update. I definitely recommend these.

1 Like

I missed you second post, saw that, all good now!

Thanks for the tip!

Right i now have the 3rd Wireless that shows up working @davidc502, its a Marvell 88W8887 802.11bgnac Wireless

config wifi-device 'radio2'
	option type 'mac80211'
	option hwmode '11a'
	option path 'platform/soc/soc:internal-regs/f10d8000.sdhci/mmc_host/mmc0/mmc0:0001/mmc0:0001:1'
	option htmode 'VHT80'
	option country 'GB'
	option legacy_rates '1'
	option channel '44'

config wifi-iface 'default_radio2'
	option device 'radio2'
	option mode 'ap'
	option ssid 'ItsWorkingSecret'
	option network 'Mars'
	option isolate '1'
	option encryption 'psk2'
	option key 'Secret'

I have the following installed

kmod-mwifiex-pcie
kmod-mwifiex-sdio
kmod-mwlwifi
mwifiex-pcie-firmware
mwifiex-sdio-firmware
mwlwifi-firmware-88w8964

So not sure now what these means however it works data is pasted to the internet and back without issues no packet drops nothing.

So that now means
Radio0, Radio1, Radio2 works.

@solidus1983

Appreciate the info. I haven't messed around with the third wifi in over a year. I thought I would mess around with it but ran into this problem. Did you run into the same issue when installing kmod-mwifiex-sdio

root@lede:~# opkg install kmod-mwifiex-sdio
Installing kmod-mwifiex-sdio (4.14.105+4.19.23-1-4) to root...
Downloading https://dc502wrt.org/snapshots/r9614/targets/mvebu/cortexa9/packages/kmod-mwifiex-sdio_4.14.105%2b4.19.23-1-4_arm_cortex-a9_vfpv3.ipk
Collected errors:
 * check_data_file_clashes: Package kmod-mwifiex-sdio wants to install file /lib/modules/4.14.105/mwifiex.ko
	But that file is already provided by package  * kmod-mwifiex-pcie
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-mwifiex-sdio.
1 Like