Davidc502- wrt1200ac wrt1900acx wrt3200acm wrt32x builds

@shm0

I considered that but it seems risky: if you fat-finger the config you run the risk of having both partitions with non-working wired networks.

I'm wondering if a better process might be:

1. create tar.gz backup
  2. extract backup to a tmp location, edit network config, re-tar.gz
  3. sysupgrade, don't save configs
  4. update the system with the modified backup

Or alternatively, upgrade reusing the config and ssh to the router from a wireless client and edit the configs and reboot?

1 Like

Thanks @InkblotAdmirer

Considering how many people are flashing on a regular basis, this is going to cause a lot of issues.

@InkblotAdmirer
It is always a good idea to have a backup ready :wink:

Somebody already want to go back from whence we came.. I just edited the changes into an extracted config backup, and reloaded; ain't no big, ignoring the whole DSA VLAN knowledge acquisition bit.

Well after i built R13487 (Expected everything to just die network wise), i flashed with config intact now here was the fun bit.

Wireless worked without issues and i could access the router even the internet using the same config that was used with SWCONFIG however once i placed anything into the Ethernet ports the log was getting spammed to hell with errors however the internet wouldn't even come up on the WAN port until i unpluged everything from the LAN ports, then i changed the config over like @shm0 pointed out, guess what the WAN port still couldn't get a PPPOE connection with anything in the LAN ports untill they was unplugged again.

Also, there will probably be a push real soon now, that will stop people from upgrading incompatible releases, while keeping things; i.e. swconfig -> DSA. So hopefully the broken upgrade will not happen, you will have redo everything, or edit changes into you backup and reload. Should stop a lot of head scratching.

I just tried this on a "spare" router (one I don't mind bricking for a day or so). I ssh'd in wirelessly after keeping config, updated /etc/config/network and all works like a charm.

As anomeome mentioned: VLANs require a bit more than shm0's post. Also, I always have some custom firewall rules referencing networks, those have to be updated as well.

For all the original interface names (example with eth1.2):

cd /etc
grep -r "eth1.2" *

seems to do the trick.

1 Like

Can i uninstall some services (like openvpn and dynamic dns)
I notice some delay on https://192.168.1.1/cgi-bin/luci/admin/status/realtime/connections showing

/etc/init.d/service stop
/etc/init.d/service disable

may be more apropos

1 Like

Or in https://192.168.1.1/cgi-bin/luci/admin/system/startup !!! :thinking:

... at 213MB and 43% now. I think the only change I have is, that I have a daily cron job like this 0 6 * * * /etc/init.d/adblock reload, and it reloads dnsmasq and therfor dnscrypt proxy maybe too once a day. Maybe there is a bug or memory leak for ever reload happening, not freeing its memory.

If you believe there to be an issue there is the OpenWrt package issues, or better yet maybe upstream

hmm, not really my point, but ok, there is more than one way to do something.

I have installed Davidc502 r13342 on my router WRT1900acv1 mamba after I tired rebooting the router it fails and reverts back to the old firmware on the alternate environment which is running r12833 build. I am fairly new and would like to know what I can do to get my other environment back. Currently it shows as having linux 5.4.1 as installed. Can anyone help?

Thanks for that reminder! KISS.

Good description of what's happening and why -- TY

2 Likes

Glad this is happening, I like cool codenames and all, but just one name per device is much simpler and easy to understand.

1 Like

Hi,

I just installed openWRT on my WRT32X (that I got last week). It was pretty easy and it looks really nice.
I am trying to settup transmission but I cannot get it to start.

All I am seeing is in the log is:
Sat Jun 6 22:41:20 2020 daemon.info procd: Instance transmission::instance1 s in a crash loop 6 crashes, 0 seconds since last crash

I followed the guide on the main forum:

opkg update
opkg install transmission-daemon-openssl
opkg install transmission-cli-openssl 
opkg install transmission-web
opkg install transmission-remote-openssl

And then set-up the config, however I don't get a transmission-daemon bin in /usr/bin/
Do I need to install from another repo than the default one? Or did I miss to install something.

1 Like

Read my messages up to this thread - all Transmission packages broken in this release.
You can use Transmission packages from OpenWRT trunk, after patching opkg.conf and adding custom feeds.

Thanks T-Troll.

I installed transmission 3 and got it to work by removing from /etc/init.d/transmission:

if [ -f "$seccomp_path" ]; then
       procd_set_param seccomp "$seccomp_path"
fi
1 Like