Davidc502- wrt1200ac wrt1900acx wrt3200acm wrt32x builds

Wish I saw this earlier, since WAN and LAN can sorta distribute themselves (via mq qdisc) if you delete this patch from the mvebu target directory. It was introduced with this commit, addressing this bug. As far as I can tell, the upstream Linux maintainers for mvneta have not addressed this, even after the elapsed period of two years since discovering this bug that potentially affects millions of devices using this switch family (searched a through a boatload of mailing lists/patchworks branches). Whilst the swconfig driver is mvsw61xx, doing stuff to mvneta still affects OpenWrt/the switch.

Example output of cat /proc/interrupts in my build (with the aforementioned patch deleted @ around 20-30 mins uptime):

root@WRT1900ACS:~# cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0       CPU1       
 17:          0          0     GIC-0  27 Edge      gt
 18:     107238     394178     GIC-0  29 Edge      twd
 19:          0          0      MPIC   5 Level     armada_370_xp_per_cpu_tick
 21:     118888          0     GIC-0  34 Level     mv64xxx_i2c
 22:         20          0     GIC-0  44 Level     ttyS0
 36:     240665         14      MPIC   8 Level     eth1
 37:     229312        882      MPIC  12 Level     eth0
 38:          0          0     GIC-0  50 Level     ehci_hcd:usb1
 39:          0          0     GIC-0  51 Level     f1090000.crypto
 40:          0          0     GIC-0  52 Level     f1090000.crypto
 41:          0          0     GIC-0  58 Level     ahci-mvebu[f10a8000.sata]
 42:      29828          0     GIC-0 116 Level     f10d0000.flash
 43:          0          0     GIC-0  49 Level     xhci-hcd:usb2
 44:          2          0     GIC-0  54 Level     f1060800.xor
 45:          2          0     GIC-0  97 Level     f1060900.xor
 46:          0          0  f1018100.gpio  24 Edge      gpio-keys
 47:          0          0  f1018100.gpio  29 Edge      gpio-keys
 48:       3177    1982790     GIC-0  61 Level     mwlwifi
 49:       2952    2048688     GIC-0  65 Level     mwlwifi
IPI0:          0          1  CPU wakeup interrupts
IPI1:          0          0  Timer broadcast interrupts
IPI2:       5790       7349  Rescheduling interrupts
IPI3:         47     134573  Function call interrupts
IPI4:          0          0  CPU stop interrupts
IPI5:          0          0  IRQ work interrupts
IPI6:          0          0  completion interrupts
Err:          0

But I can see why the bug isn't addressed. It doesn't really affect traffic that is just passing through the router. For my use case, the router does not have much TCP/IP traffic originating from itself. In fact, even DHCP/DNS is on a different device (Raspberry Pi 3b+). Whilst I don't get affected by the multi flow bug since the traffic flows through the router, traffic originating from the router (e.g. VPN / NAS are what I can currently think of) may get bit with the bug.

EDIT: There'd probably more interrupts on CPU1 if I had a constant throughput in the 100-500 Mbps range (just basically using more computing resource). As of current, my router's utilization is limited to a NAT traversal device (no IPv6 since the country I'm currently based in have zero ISPs that offer it for the home consumer) with UPnP (yikes! I know) & Cake SQM shaping for packets.

1 Like

Installed r9987 and all seems to be running well for me so far :+1:

1 Like

It is looking good... Appreciate everything you have done!

I do like the the active highlight.

Let me know if you'd like a .ipk created if you want to see your changes?

Thanks for the reply, If you could rebuild the .ipk file for others not sure if you can recompile just that package and replace the old one. As of now i am still having issues with compiling OpenWRT keeps bailing with error 2 all the time, starting to run out of OS'es of the linux kind. Using Arch Linux right now after Centos and Ubuntu was giving issues.

As for seeing the changes my end i edit the files directly on the router, the joys of WinSCP then i copy the changes over to github.

As of current all editing has been done for now.

Interesting. So an individual running and iperf/netperf/throughput test from the router to a host inside the lan would see this bug? I also noticed as pinning the 2 wifi irq's that there was still some activity on the switch side. Small but albeit seen. Moving the irq's for WIFI helps dramatically as not too overload the cpu0, obviously. I wonder if this should be a default setting OOTB?

That reminds me, I need to purchase a small pc for compiling openwrt. I want to test different scenarios. OSX is such a pain for linux related stuff.

..or use a VM? You have several options including open source ones such as xhyve or Virtualbox

Will a VM take much longer or? I haven't built anything since Gentoo in 1998

Building in a VM will take longer than on the bare iron (even more so since spectre and meltdown mitigations had to be considered), but hardware accelerated VMs (VT-x/ AMD-V using kvm (on linux) or similar frameworks on other operating systems) still provide reasonable performance.

Think I’m going to dual boot Mac OS X and Linux. Which flavor is suggested?

Yes, they would. But only for when you set the parameters to use more than four flows (and at full Gbit).

It probably should. Probs best to make an init.d scripts.

And with regards to your OSX stuff:
I currently build OpenWrt in Ubuntu 18.04 in Parallels VM (given to me for free when I was once a student) on a non-retina Macbook Pro Mid-2012 (Ivy Bridge 2 cores w/ 4 threads). Upgraded it to have a 512GB SSD and 16GB of RAM (of which the VM takes 64GB space, 8GB RAM, and 3 CPU threads). It takes about ~2 hours for me to build the prerequisites + image, but about ~45 minutes for me to build the image only. [Modified the build system to use autoconf-lean (adapted from nbd/Felix Fietkau's staging-tree) and GCC 9.1.0, make -j3 V=s].

Tues May 14 05:31:23 2019 kern.notice kernel: [ 0.000000] Linux version 4.14.114 (Pzd@PLLVM) (gcc version 9.1.0 (OpenWrt GCC 9.1.0 r7676)) #0 SMP Thu Mar 14 03:14:15 2019

1 Like

I just updated and installed the feeds, and compiled the luci-theme-atmaterial package without issue. - Thanks for the update @solidus1983

For those who want to update atmaterial to the latest.

Change directory to /tmp
wget https://dc502wrt.org/releases/luci-theme-atmaterial_git-19.133.50139-d94d70f-1_all.ipk

The following command will upgrade the theme
opkg install /tmp/releases/luci-theme-atmaterial_git-19.133.50139-d94d70f-1_all.ipk

1 Like

@solidus1983

This is cool how it works but these are the marked changes with your repository when I updated the feed.

From git://github.com/solidus1983/luci-theme-atmaterial
   380cbb9..d94d70f  master     -> origin/master
Updating 380cbb9..d94d70f
Fast-forward
 README.md                                                                   |  5 +++++
 luci/themes/luci-theme-atmaterial/htdocs/luci-static/atmaterial/cascade.css | 18 +++++++++---------
 luci/themes/luci-theme-atmaterial/luasrc/view/themes/atmaterial/header.htm  | 10 +++++-----
 3 files changed, 19 insertions(+), 14 deletions(-)
Create index file './feeds/atmeterial.index'

I also noticed this as well, as you can see i have been busy lol.

1 Like

Any other particular areas where you might be inspired to make some changes?

BTW -- Any of those flavors of linux should have successfully compiled. Next time compile with -j1 and copy the error.

I was using the following command to compile " make -j1 V=99sc " the R61e i am using only has 2 cores any how after all its a Core2Duo.

Will be doing a clean install of Arch Linux tomorrow and retrying.

As for inspired to make some changes in what manner? Your current build is a solid one and as the atmaterial theme goes, i am more then happy to hear suggestions from the rest of the users

I know this may be a dead horse, but I’m going to kick it anyway. TomatoWRT has java? Real-time charts. Can we somehow get those or something similar?

Dear Dave ( aka the Inimitable Davidc502 ),
First off - I love your Builds - and the new build - r9987 is great and no issues here. I still did not get umdns working - but it is probably due to my own lack of understanding. Also by way of reporting back to you and The Community at Large - I was able to get WireGuard Client working with both TorGuard and NordVPN. I put up both tutorials in the OpenWRT Forum - see TorGuard here : Solved: torguard openwrt wireguard client and NordVPN here : Solved: nordvpn OpenWrt wireguard client
Just to let you know - I absolutely love the new theme - luci-theme-atmaterial which you have been asking us for our feedback on. It is clean and responsive. Regarding the upgrade instructions; now I am not an expert but the following commands worked for me.

cd /tmp
wget https://dc502wrt.org/releases/luci-theme-atmaterial_git-19.133.50139-d94d70f-1_all.ipk
opkg install luci-theme-atmaterial_git-19.133.50139-d94d70f-1_all.ipk
The trick is to issue the install command while still in the /tmp directory. This is how we were advised to update the wifi drivers back when you would issue updates between releases in the olden days.

By no means am I trying to contradict your advice;
I am just offering up what worked for me for those who may encounter any difficulties.
Thanks again Dave for all you do in pushing out these stable, progressive and up to date and cutting edge Builds of yours for all of us.

Peace and God Bless

4 Likes

Hi. I use google translate. Congrats for this great project by the developers. I am a basic user in this of openfirmware, I own a wrt1900ac v2 router. I used a few days ago a compilation DD-WRT of 10/10/18 with which I obtained a low performance in wireless network of 5 and 2.4 ghz. I would like to know if this firmware is more stable than the DD-WRT 10/10/18 in the Wi-Fi since I am interested in the options of advanced QOS and place a small hard disk to share files in my personal network.

1 Like

Alpine Linux works fine and is very "small", Debian/Ubuntu also works fine.
I've personally moved from Debian to Alpine and I'm happy with the move.

If you want realtime charts, just install netdata?