Davidc502- wrt1200ac wrt1900acx wrt3200acm wrt32x builds

I get 80MB/s myself on OpenWRT on my USB 3.0 drive, so, I don't understand the problem you are trying to address here.

Coulda sworn it was a lot less performance than I was getting before, it's been my only complaint about how good OpenWrt is in general. Maybe it's settings somewhere I'll check it out thanks.

Yeah, must be! I am not on the newest David build, but have had this performance for years now on various builds. I had issues with certain Samba settings in the past that caused slow throughput, but can't recall which unfortunately.

If your using Samba, give ksbd a shot. I get decent speeds with that for sure infact I am getting max speeds from my usb keys. Might try mapping a SSD to it later and benching it.

I install luci-proto-wireguard and luci-app-wireguard each time you release a new build and Wireguard words great subsequently. Wireguard is also a super-tight code so I'd imagine the size won't be a problem. I'm happy to help test, but you'll have to tell me when the time comes to do so. :slight_smile:

I get maxed (115 MB/s) for a long time now with stock openwrt builds via esata. I did nothing special and got slightly slower (70-90 MB/s) speeds via USB.

1 Like

Just an update couldn't get the M.2 PCI-E NVME to USB to work (unsure why but hey ho), however i did map the USB drive currently in the router on the USB Port thats not E-Sata combo and i got using ksmbd

66MB/s Read
27MB/s Write

Which for the USB i am using is correct.

Thank you so much for running those tests. I installed the package and I see around the same amount of benefit (15% or so). I didn't see any increase in speed but my CPU is no longer pressing against 100% while using the whole pipe.

This one has been beat to death in the past, and the improvement is better than a sharp stick in the eye, but not a game changer. 15% is 15% and on a router it is a marked improvement, so due to awareness of users, the option will be added to the Gui in the next built. :+1:

lol.. Just reading the above, I guess I sound wishy-washy about it.

New build r12394 has just been uploaded to the server.

1. Software flow offloading package has been added to the build. Be sure go to check the box to enable offloading. Under -> Firewall and on that page check the box "software flow offloading".
  2. The patch to disable weaker cypher's on Dropbear has been included.
  3. Various kernel bumps and fixes

Kernel version = 4.19.106
WiFi driver = 10.3.8.0-20200206
Build = r12394

2 Likes

David,
You haven't updated the Downloads page yet. Admittedly, I went to your snapshot page and got r12394 but some others might not know that path.

In progress. Thanks.

Completed.

Is anyone still having problems with port forwarding? I cannot for the life of me get it to work. Internal network it shows its open but it's not accessible from outside my network.

anyone get a key error trying to connect with putty with this new build? wrt32x

Just tested on a WRT1900ACS v1 and Putty is working

Been thinking about tossing together a Raspberry Pi 4 / Pi-hole box for fun, anyone ever compare the ad-blocking in OpenWrt to that? Performance-wise etc just curious. Thanks.

There is a patch that removes weak cypher's from Dropbear. What client or method is being used to connect via ssh?
I'm connecting from my Linux workstation just fine.

No issues here I connect via Linux terminal, putty and Terminus without issue.

Wondering how you got your Statistics graph working though without having a setup loop.

One thing I did notice was Memory use is quite high.

Yet looking in processes shows very minimal use of the ram.

Thank you Dave
Software offload gave super performance cashing

Pihole works quite well for me. I'd like to keep the routers cpu and memory totally devoted to routing, filtering, and queuing packets.

I also have the Piholes set up with Unbound querying the rootservers.

I have 2x Piholes for redundancy - one 3B+ and one 4B. The 4B seems to take in most of the requests (~80-90%), probably because its ethernet wiring isn't over USB and reduces latency.

I use the https://dbl.oisd.nl blocklist and I don't have to whitelist things now that it's matured.

In the future, Pihole 5.0 will also offer you the ability to turn off adblocking for certain devices and also CNAME lookups to block CNAME cloaking which I don't think OpenWrt's version of Adblock covers in its current form.

I do not notice additional latency in my queries. Using 1.1.1.1 netted me 12ms; while using Pihole is nettting me 9ms (in nslookup or dig queries).

2 Likes