Daisy chain routers

This is my fist time installing OpenWRT on a router (Archer A7).

I purchased two Archer A7 routers, one has the default TP-Link OS installed, while the other has OpenWRT. The TP-Link router is connected to the modem, and the OpenWRT is connected to the TP-Link router.

When connected to the TP-Link router, I'm able to access the OpenWRT router by the IP address it was assigned. However when I try to access the GUI, it is not able to connect.

One of the reasons for me doing this is to make a gradual transition of devices from the TP-Link router to the OpenWRT router. One of the applications I have hosted (Home Assistant), I would like to integrate with OpenWRT. In order to do so, it needs to be able to connect via IP.

Any help or suggestions with making the OpenWRT router accessible when connected to it's "parent" router would be much appreciated!

Are you sure the version of OpenWRT installed includes the gui ? Snapshot typically doesn't have a gui.

Are you using a LAN or the WAN port of the OpenWRT Router?

The version I'm using does have a GUI. When connected to the OpenWRT network, I'm able to access it at https://192.168.1.1

The TP-Link router WAN is connected to the modem. The OpenWRT WAN is connected to the LAN port on the TP-Link router.

You need to create a firewall rule allowing management access to the OpenWrt router through its wan port.

Go to Network->Firewall->Traffic Rules and create a new rule, looking like this,

or log into the router using ssh and run :

uci add firewall rule
uci set firewall.@rule[-1].name='Management-from-WAN'
uci set firewall.@rule[-1].src='wan'
uci set firewall.@rule[-1].proto='tcp'
uci set firewall.@rule[-1].dest_port='22 80 443'
uci set firewall.@rule[-1].target='ACCEPT'
uci commit firewall
/etc/init.d/firewall restart

Make sure the LAN subnet of the main router (which runs the stock firmware) is different than 192.168.1.0/24

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.