D-Link DAP-2610 PoE Info

Hi everyone,

Yesterday I installed my new DAP-2610 at home, the firts thing I did was install OpenWRT.
The D-Link Web interface it looks like a web page from 90's (old and confusing), but that's not the point.

The AP is working great (a least for the last 24 hours), but I would like to get some information about the PoE. My AP is connected to a TP-Link switch PoE, but the switch gives no information about PoE connections/power consumption..... it's a very very basic switch.

Is there any way from my AP to get some info about the PoE consumption/information....?

Many thanks,

Necro-answering this post, because I'm looking at this device myself right now: The datasheet specifies its PoE input as IEEE 802.3af (which, more specifically, means that passive 24V like for example the EdgeRouter X delivers, will not work with it.)

HTH.

Hi @takimata my DAP-2610 is connected to TL-SG108PEv2 switch, and after more than 6 months both are working great (switch and AP).

The switch info can be found here https://www.tp-link.com/en/business-networking/easy-smart-switch/tl-sg108pe/v2/

The "problem" is I have no way in switch/AP to check how PoE is working.

Thanks,

Sorry, I don't get it: Your switch puts out 802.3af, your DAP-2610 needs 802.3af. The power supply matches the requirement (and 802.3af is a standard you can look up if you're interested in voltages and wattages). What more do you need to check?

Edit: Oh, power consumption? See @mk24's answer below. Also, the DAP-2610 can be powered by a 12V/1A power supply theoretically supplying 12 watt at maximum output. Given that PSUs are never driven at maximum output, it's not unreasonable to estimate that the real consumption is quite a bit less than that. I don't know if it's worth investing in additional gear just to find out if the DAP-2610 in the end needs 5, 7, or 9 watts in regular operation.

Edit²: The Fritz!Box 4040, a comparable device with IPQ4018 chipset, has been measured at around 4.5W in idle and 6.7W when transmitting.

1 Like

Neither of those have any hardware features to measure actual power consumed. The SG-108PE is disappointing that it doesn't even report power requested on its user interface, or have a way to shut down the PoE on a port.

Without going to a much more expensive switch about all you could do is plug the SG108PE into an energy monitor and see how much the wattage increases when the AP is plugged in.

1 Like

Fully agree, as very basic switch is working fine, but you get 0 info/control about something plugged on it.

I'll have to buy a new one.

@takimata @mk24 Thanks for your help and time!!!!