D-Link 885L/R A2 - OpenWrt 18.06.2 - upgrade

Hi ,

I attempted to upgrade with OpenWrt 18.06.2 from OpenWrt 18.06.1 using the Flash new firmware image functionality from 18.06.1 but it did not work. Router was stuck and did not display anything. I did not preserve setting.

Second time I did try to flash the firmware from the Recovery interface and it looked like it was in a perpetual reboot. Ping was responding sporadically.

Third time I installed the original D-Link firmware and after that I did go into Recovery and flashed again the 18.06.2. Didn't work.

Finally, I did install back OpenWrt 18.06.1 and restored the backup and I am back from where I started.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

dg.

(With apologies for the comments on the wrong device, due to my error)

Take care: DIR-855 != DIR-885

The hardware is supported:
D-Link 885

I assume you misread the title and what I wrote.

You may need a serial connection to the console to debug the bootloop.

There has been no wide-spread influx of 18.06.2 bug reports, so it is likely something target/router specific.

In general, there are not that many bcm53xx target-specific changes since 18.06.1 (in August 2018) to today:
https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=history;f=target/linux/bcm53xx;hb=refs/tags/v18.06.2

@rmilecki is probably the most active core developer on the Broadcom bcm53xx space, so hopefully he might have some ideas about your problems.

Hi,

I have the same router as you (D-Link 885L A2) and have been running OpenWRT for over a year without issues, but I get the same problems as you when I tried to flash to 18.06.2 and later 18.06.4.

It looks like OpenWRT only support the router with hardware A1, so maybe that could be why it doesn't work?

Best regards

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, I did install OpenWRT OpenWrt 18.06.4 but from the recovery interface(D-Link interface). The upgrade did not work from the inside of version 18.06.2. Other then that I used the old 943184 brcmfmac4366c-pcie.bin driver. And that was it.

dg.