Custom iptables not working

I created some firewall traffic rules using LuCI to block HTTP(S) access to my gateway and it worked as expected. However, I would like to use iptables as I can use the multiport option to specify both HTTP and HTTPS in one rule.

I've connected to the router via SSH, printed out the rules using iptables -S, placed the exact rules into the Custom Rules tab in LuCI, clicked Save and restarted the firewall with /etc/init.d/firewall restart.

However, the rules don't seem to be working as I can still reach the gateway's web-GUI.
These are the iptables rules:

iptables -A FORWARD -d 192.168.20.253/32 -p tcp -m multiport --dports 80,443 -m comment --comment "!fw3: Block HTTP(S) access to gateway" -j zone_wan_dest_REJECT
iptables -A FORWARD -d 192.168.20.253/32 -p udp -m multiport --dports 80,443 -m comment --comment "!fw3: Block HTTP(S) access to gateway" -j zone_wan_dest_REJECT

If I change append (-A) for insert (-I) so the rules are at the top of the chain it seems to work. What I don't understand is when the exact same rules made using LuCI are using append rather than insert they work. Any ideas what's going on here?

The exact location of the rule in the chain matters, as there may be another rule in the meantime which can match the traffic and allow it.

use the extra arguments field for that.

3 Likes