Creating multiwan

im wanting to create multiwan on a repeater setup. the wan's in this case are wireless dhcp clients of which i want to bundle each of the 2 together to function as one. one would be 2.4 ghz client the other 5ghz client. not exactly sure how this is done correctly can anyone give advice.

Bundling 2 wwans is not so easy and you need to have another device to terminate the bonded links and aggregate the bandwidth.
If you just want to combine the links in a load balancing regime or failover, you can look at mwan3 package.

didnt mention it but yes load balancing is what i wanted to achieve, i just installed the package and reading on wiki about this package.

in my case my wan are wwan as repeaters and it doesnt show up any interfaces under mwan3 luci. this probably means i have to configure it manually through the config files right.

I think mwan3 comes with a default configuration containing wan and wanb.
If the uplinks are wwan and wwanb you can either rename them or create new.

i guess because i had my regular wan deleted it shows up blank for me. thanks a lot for the info! ill try to figure it out

after messing around a bit i managed to get it working, i see my upload is fine but my download speeds are suffering like 2mbps. am i doing something wrong

Single connection downloads won't get you more than the link throughput. If the download supports multiple flows (e.g torrent from multiple seeders) and load balancing is configured properly you can have somehow combined throughput.

im sure im doing something wrong, i tried default settings and after adjusting it stays the same. i ran speedtest.net and my bandwith was instead of 60 mbps fluctuating between 2 and 4mbps when i used balancing. so my goal was to squeeze max out of my connection by bundling 2.4ghz and 5ghz on an openwrt repeater the main router also is openwrt btw. on a single connection it just barely maxes out so that was my goal to give it a bit of an extra push that way. however i dont know what is exactly going on and my throughput plunges so bad.

There is option for single or multiple streams in speedtest. Anyway, post here your configs to have a look in case you missed something:

Please copy the output of the following commands and post it here using the "Preformatted text </> " button:
grafik
Remember to redact passwords, MAC addresses and any public IP addresses you may have

uci export network; uci export wireless; \
uci export dhcp; uci export firewall; \
head -n -0 /etc/firewall.user; \
iptables-save -c;  \
ip -4 addr ; ip -4 ro li tab all ; ip -4 ru; \
uci export mwan3; mwan3 status

One more thing, are you running any QoS/SQM or any other package that could manipulate packets?

no not running any qos or sqm however i have my own kernel configuration saved within rc.local to run at boot but i hesitate its that. i will try with and without and follow your advice and also share my config. thanks for helping out

1 Like

i was trying out new kernel configurations turns out some options randomly caused it somehow to pop up while using mwan. however now that i got those fixed mwan works just fine. the speed however maxed out nearly using 1 client it goes just a tiny bit faster using load balancing however doesnt fully max out at peak. even if its just an extra 1/2mb. cant blame that on mwan however must be my router itself. in other words the topic is solved. thanks a lot for the help i appreciate it :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.