Creating a kind of captive portal for VR trainings purpose

Hey OpenWrt community !
I was wondering if this alternative firmware could be used to create a kind of captive portal.

Basically, I need to create on a nano router (TL-WR902AC v3) an open 5ghz WiFi (local network, no WAN) that automaticly redirect the user to a local webserveur running on a specific android device.

I didn't tried to install OpenWrt yet and only been through a few topics on captive portals so i'm a noob.

The final usecase : We plan to deploy 20 routers with VR autonomous HMDs (Oculus Quest) to provide some teachers a full immersive kit, with screen mirroring, remote access...

I'm not sure this is possible with routing tables of stock TP Link firmware...

Regards !

There are some captive portals available.
However I am not sure how will it help in your scenario.

2 Likes

Tbh I'm having troubles with imaging what you're trying to accomplish here. Like deploying 20 access points in 20 classrooms? What is the relation to screen mirroring and remote access with a standalone HMD? Webserver on a Android device?

I and others here might give you some general advice if you can tell us more detailed want you want to achieve. But since you're deploying in a professional setting, I would really recommend hiring a IT consultant to spare yourself and your teachers a big headache. A big headache during deployment and after deployment.

Edit: And welcome to the forums! Don't take my post as discouraging, innovative ideas to improve education are always great (especially during the COVID-19 pandemic). Captive portals with OpenWRT are definitely possible. However, it's most likely OpenWRT isn't part of your solution here.

2 Likes

Hello Trendy and Vuhuy !

First, many thanks for your time and informations.
I saw these captive portals, that's how I thought this could be the solution (to avoid big Cisco routers).

The goal here is to be able to give the teacher a complete compact kit, with a nano router to plug, an open wifi to join and tada ! The ability to open a specific IP leading him to the virtual reality headset interface. This will allow him to see and control the device easily. The students can also join with their own smartphones to see what's going on in VR, without IT security breach (local only).

Oculus Quest allows chromecasting, but there is no internet connection in workshops so it's not an option. Teacher's smartphone's AP neither (too much time to deploy). The only wireless and fast solution is this one : using CoPlay (tiny android webserver) to cast from the Head Mounted Display to teacher and student's screens.

Oh, and here's a teaser of our upcoming deployement : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKrU3yEroUs&feature=youtu.be

Is this more clear ?

No. I am afraid, you assume too much knowledge regarding your environment, already to be present here.
I have a lot of experience in various "Captive Portals" for hotspot, but absolutely no clue what you want to do. Cause I never used a " .... VR autonomous HMDs (Oculus Quest) ..." And I am not a gamer. Besides, quite often it is not a good idea to assume, that for a required solution for a special problem, you generally know the solution already, and "only" want its implementation.

Wouldn't it be easier to enable wpa2 and configure the nano router to connect to the wifi?

Hello Reinerotto,

Here's the user's journey i'm trying to setup:
1 - Connect to an Open WiFi
2 - Being automaticly redirected to a local IP with a specific port (ex: 192.168.1.225:8080) with the usual "connect to internet" popup that appears on your device with a captive portal

The VR heaset is basically an android phone, so it can host a webserver that will show an html interface for the teacher on the port 8080.

Does this makes sense to you ?
All my interrogations are about winning some time and simplify the process of typing a static IP in a web browser, and instead automaticly redirecting to the right IP. The local WiFi part already works great with my Nano Router : the wireless screen sharing works great with 5Ghz AC. The worst scenario would be printing the IP adress on the router to help the teacher reaching it, so it's not that bad.

I read some articles on captive portals and it seemed to be a part of the solution to redirect every requests to an IP... but I'm still confused with routing / DNS ... :slight_smile:

Regards,

The Nano router is the WiFi AP, there is no other network to reach. Everything is local.
You have :

• Nanorouter (192.168.1.1)

Connected 5Ghz Oculus Quest (Webserver)
Connected 2.4/5Ghz Phone or PC (Client)

Nice promo, I like those kinds of idea. So to understand, you want give the set to your teachers, which includes a headset + nanorouter that they can take home? The promo shows a point of view perspective and a mixed-reality perspective. How are you gonna achieve that mixed-reality perspective? Because usually that perspective requires a green-screen setup.

Anyway, with the teacher and this headset, students are able to login somewhere and see what the teacher is seeing + a mixed reality view? Or is the whole setup on a controlled fixed locations? Because when 5+ students connect to the headset to get what the teacher sees, you definitely run in to bandwidth issues and performance issues (even in a local setting, and especially if the quest is acting like the server).

Yes, that is indeed a mixed reality teaser that requested a greenscreen and a 4K webcam (just for demonstration purpose), the final application only needs the kit, some space and a plug for the nano router. More informations in this developper conference. You can also now replicate this kind of Mixed Reality point of view with an iPhone, with the help of LIV. No greenscreen thanks to the stereoscopic depth estimation algorithm. Sounds pretty great for live MR purpose.

You're probably right on the bandwidth issue : I guess they'll end up mirroring the experience with a videoprojector for everybody, since these classroms are equiped. In workshops, maybe it'll only be on the teacher's laptop. I still have to run some tests on the field (october 2020 I hope).

Ok then enable the wpa2 on the nanorouter access point.
If you don't connect it upstream to authenticate on a AAA server, what do you need the captive portal?

2 Likes

Ah yes, well the bandwidth / performance issues can always be solved with additional hardware. You want to use a captive portal to redirect everyone that is connecting to a page that shows the screen-mirror? Except for oculus headset- which get full internet access?

Can be definitly done with OpenWRT (at least. if the TP link device is capabale of running OpenWRT).

1 Like

The redirect to 192.168.1.225:8080 can be done directly using firewall/iptables (destination NAT).
For more, you can check https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/services/captive-portal/wireless.hotspot.wifidog

However, you will face quite a few implications. I.e. because you have no internet, the "... usual "connect to internet" popup ..." will allways be present. Unless using quite some "tricks" to fake internet connection.

A typical CP (Captive Portal) blocks access to the internet until the user successfully completed some type of authorization. Which is not the case in your environment, as I see it. So I very doubt the suitability of a CP for you.

1 Like

Thanks everybody for your insights.

I'll start with looking for these NAT Rules on the stock firmware. Otherwise, the TP-Link TL-WR902AC V3 is compatible with OpenWrt and should let me go further using WiFiDog.

Stay tunned :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.