Creating a bridge on wireless networks

Hi,

I am using Openwrt 21.02.2 on Xiaomi R3G.

In 18.06 I was able to bridge several devices to one bridged device "br-".
It seems the UI only allows to bridge physical ports.

Is that something that can be done using the configuration files or the commandline?
For example: I want to bridge my 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks to one device (or group) to create a FW rule using that object.

Anyone knows a solution for this?

Thank you :slight_smile:

This can all be done from the GUI. In version 21, network bridges (layer 2) are distinct entities from network interfaces (layer 3). In previous versions, an interface had a bridge option which would create an underlying bridge from one config block. This is deprecated.

Create a bridge device and give it a name (typically of the form br-xxxxx). If it is only going to contain wifi devices, don't choose any ports from the list.
Then create a network interface and use the bridge device as its physical device. Give the interface a similar name like xxxxx without the br. Configure an IP address etc. Add it to a firewall zone or go to firewall and create a new zone.
Finally go to the wifi config and choose the network name as the network for your wifi AP(s).

5 Likes

Thank you very much!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.