CPU frequency scaling driver for mvebu (WRT3200ACM etc.)

Couple of days of searching, couple hours of struggling, some screaming from impatient young users, with a little simplified setup the latest build with DSA is up and running. They say humans can survive about a week without food, 2-3 days without water, but without Internet, that's a really tough one. It should be a subject of study for some British scientists...

@hnyman thanks again. Nlbwmon is so nice to keep tag on those pesky traffic burners.

OpenWRT and its Devs. are Great!

Tested these cpufreq patches on a Helios 4 device. Reboots within an hour of running btrfs scrub (no it does not complete).

Is it possible to add iptables-mod-filter package with kmod module? This is very useful to filter unwanted domains with iptables.

DFS is supported per the spec on page 315.

Sure, if you compile your own build with it.

(Like I say in the second message of this thread, I have just intended this as a test build, and I am not going to tailor it more than just for my own needs)

Yeah but the patch set is broken. The original author never fixed it.

It's been a while and I know several users are running this on WRT3200ACM / WRT32X routers with kernel 5.4. Was this ever merged to master/21.02? Obviously we want to avoid latency problems the R7800 was having but it would be nice to get this added. Thanks.

Not to my knowledge.

1 Like

Works fine with 5.10 as well.

1 Like

cpu scaling?

Yes with the patch from here CPU scaling works after you make the change

sed -i 's/patches-4.19/patches-5.10/g' 419scaleCPUFreq.patch

Or

sed -i 's/patches-5.4/patches-5.10/g' 419scaleCPUFreq.patch

Yes.
I haven't updated my patches at the top of this thread, but you can see the pretty identical 5.10 versions from the download directory.

dont know how to "patch" the kernel, so i´m guessing i´ll go for the fan alternative :wink:

do you have sensors installed and if so what does this show
sensors
sensors
tmp421-i2c-0-4c
Adapter: mv64xxx_i2c adapter
temp1: +38.1°C
temp2: +40.6°C

armada_thermal-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1: +65.1°C

1 Like

There you go on sensors

Here is my thermals

1 Like

If these patches work why are they not in OpenWrt?

It is questionable if they work perfectly and if the CPU frequency scaling actually provides big enough benefits compared to the added complexity. (To my knowledge, upstream Linux never adopted these patches from 2015)

They were not upstreamed because of hardware defects or something.

These patches cause constant reboots with my NAS when running btrfs scrub or some other heavy I/O operation.

OK thanks.

The thing is, It might work on my router (Venom) however some with the same model could also flash the firmware and get the issue.

I do have personal builds up with CPU patch however the only true benefit is a slightly lower temp and thats it.

Speaking of DSA, how are you guys managing the deficits? I'm getting 20% less ingress vs 19.07.7. Is this fixed with 5.10 or is it a DSA issue? I gave up entirely on frequency scaling because of the instability it added to my particular case scenario.

1 Like