Could not connect outside of my direct connected pc, no opkg update possible

I am at the point of "Use SSH to connect to the internet and install Luci Web interface" in the quick start guide. But this does not work for me cause I have no external modem. The modem must be build in in my AVM 7352 SL router.

My central management system is a pc where I have installed Manjaro Linux. On this system I have connected the router by lan and for going online I have a wi-fi usb stick connected to a AVM 6490(cable) router. I manahe both devices on this pc by the network-manager-app and have also installed dhpd so I can use dhcp as network protocol on the OpenWRT system.

DHCP works and the OpenWRT system uses it now. But I can only ping 192.168.2.1 and 192.168.178.43 from the system but not 192.168,178.1 or 8.8.8.8.8

I have no further idea, I think.
Please assist

TIA

Can you provide a simple topology?

3 Likes

Which questions do you have about this Szenario to understand my topology?

In the mid is my pc with two nics:
enp8s0 with ip 192.168.2.1
and
wtl... or so which is wi-fi with ip 192.168.178.43

The first one is connected direct to my new Openwrt device by cable.
The second one is connected by Wi-Fi to my cable router..

This explanation is not helping too much.
A picture or an asciidraw with the devices, the connections, and the IPs would help.

1 Like

Is the openwrt Router directly connected to the FritzBox by cable? If the answer is no, why?
What do you mean by:

?

I have a normal pc in a mini-tower which runs under Manjaro Linux and I sit in front of and manage my things with it. This pc is connected to my new OpenWRT router which is a AVM 7362 SL (Fritz!Box) by network cable direct. So I was be able to download the kernel and the sysupdate image and the python-script for flashing my DSL-Router. Since then the router stands in the near of my pc and I had expected that I will be able to do the further setup also in this way.

But when it helps I will connect my DSL-Router by a short yellow cable at the evening after my work in the office direct to my Cable-Router(AVM 6490) (also a Fritz!Box). Will this be the best solution?

On the other hand, I think, the only solution may be to configure my pc as bridge?

You are adding more info than necessary and other than requested.
I have not understood yet which is the router running OpenWrt, if it has direct connection to the internet etc.
If you are not willing to post a drawing of the network, at least post these configurations:

uci show network;uci show wireless; \
uci show firewall; uci show dhcp; \
ip -4 addr ; ip -4 ro ; ip -4 ru; \
ip -6 addr ; ip -6 ro ; ip -6 ru; \
iptables-save; ip6tables-save; \
head -n -0 /etc/firewall.user; \
ls -l  /etc/resolv.* /tmp/resolv.*; head -n -0 /etc/resolv.* /tmp/resolv.*

Please use "Preformatted text </>" for logs, scripts, configs and general console output.
grafik

Also erstmal auf deutsch,
Es gibt also drei Geräte, einen Kabel Router, einen PC und die Fritzbox mit openwrt, richtig?

Der Kabelrouter hat die Verbindung zum Internet, richtig? Der PC ist per WLAN über einen WLAN Stick angeschlossen, richtig?
An diesen PC ist per Kabel die openwrt Fritzbox angeschlossen, richtig? Ich vermute, das Kabel geht vom Rechner an einen der LAN Ports der fritzbox, richtig?

Wie hast du dir gedacht soll das Routing laufen, sprich wie soll die openwrt Fritzbox wissen, wo es zum Internet geht?

Und warum ist es ein Problem, eine kleine Zeichnung mit den drei Geräten anzufertigen? Dann hätten wir uns die ganzen Fragen sparen können.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your answer, I admire your commitment, but I have the feeling that you want to shoot sparrows with cannons. It's not a production system, so please take it easy.

I am following the instructions on https://openwrt.org/toh/avm/avm_7362_sl
and flashed the router after taking it off the intrnet. I connected it directly to my PC via LAN cable.

Try a drawing:

OpenWRT(AVM7362SL) (enp0) (192.168.2.200)<---> (enp8s0) my PC (192.168.2.1)

Little-Ghost(AVM6490) (wi-fi)(192.168.178.1) <---> (w...) my PC (192.168.178.43)

TIA
Greetings from Berlin, Germany to Brno, CZ
Maybe you heard that the first German university was in Prague? :wink:

If you have no prior experience with configuring the VDSL modem on lantiq that might be a bit hard to do without luci, but given that 19.07.0-rc1 including support for the fb7362sl and shipping with luci exists now, the easiest approach would probably be to sysupgrade to that version first.
http://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/19.07.0-rc1/targets/lantiq/xrx200/openwrt-19.07.0-rc1-lantiq-xrx200-avm_fritz7362sl-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

You can use one of the LAN ports to connect 7362 directly to the 6490, by creating an additional VLAN on the switch, e.g eth0.2
Or you could add default gateway in 7362 the 192.168.2.1 and then either masquerade on your PC or add a static route for 192.168.2.0/24 via 182.168.178.43 on 6490.

Cheers from Brno, I was under the impression that the first German university was in Heidelberg.

That sounds very good and I will do this after my work today in the evening.

Would you please also update the information at the address:
Table of Hardware: AVM 7362 SL

Thanks a lot

Update what?

To install LuCI?

That information is here: https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/luci/luci.essentials

Be advised, it's possible to configure the router without a web GUI - although, it seems you do not prefer this method.

I have added the links to the rc1 now to the devicepage.

Thanks a lot!