Copying openwrt, not work

I install Openwrt: 64 bit x86, intel processor i7, two network card. After huge work it start and works.

Then I make second one: I make a copy of hard disk using dd. So, I make exact copy of the first install. It work, but then I change LAN. So, original first was 10.15.0.0/22 etc. Copy is 10.16.0.0/22 (and later, 17, 18... etc.) Ip of the router 10.15.0.1 (16.. etc).

All work, it is, display + keyboard connected to router I can modify all. But nothing from internal network: computer connected to this router cannot reach router. Eg. luci not work, ping 10.16.0.1 no answer etc etc.

config globals 'globals'
option ula_prefix 'fdc1:e63d:b73e::/48'

Now I see this is dangerous row: after two day work I found, this must be "auto".

Is this right? First install ok, but most clever way is change this line to "auto"? Or, is this line important?

What are you trying to achieve with these copies of OpenWrt? Are you trying to create multiple networks? If so, you’ll be much better off with VLANs.

Reason I have many sites, I want use "similar" ip-addressing: "Home" is 10.15.0.0/22, router is 10.15.0.1, dhcp 10.15.1.1-254. "Office" is 10.16.0.0/22, "city office" is 10.17.0.0/22 etc etc. Most important is: all this sites are individual. Only reason this ip addressing is my mind: all places are similar, only "15", "16", "17" etc.

X86 is very easy platform. So, first I installed Openwrt to hard disk (128 G SSD :smiley: :D). After a work, 10.15.0.0/22 work. Then, I put second harddisk to this X86-computer, boot-up computer using "Stick-ubuntu" and, simply, I make identical copy of the "10.15.0.0/22 hardisk".

This new harddisk is "10.16.0.0/22", and I edit network+dchp as 10.16.0.0/22 addressing. So, this "16" is identical copy of the "15", only ip addressing are new.

Look I have problems: Now this "15" works and rest in peace, it works. "15" is ok, and now between "15" and "16" is 25 km space and no any connection between. So, rest in peace, "15". We can work with "16".

I connect keyboard and display to "16". Direct, it is x86-computer. Excelent, connection to internet is ok, eg. "opkg update" can load all packets and all is ok. Ifconfig show all is ok.

But, then I connect computer to lan-side. Just as "15", I remember it, all works there. "ping 10.16.0.1" no answer. No connection to internet. Nada. Reboot of the router, reboot of the computer, nada.

I am not sure, but "somethn ula_prefix". When I use "original" ula (from 15) this "16" not work. When I change this "16" addressing to "15", it works. When I change ula as "auto", "16" work but not allways. So, I am quite sure fault is this "ula"... so, is it important or how? How it is possible make "force"?

Hmm... in nutcell...

I build fully working Openwrt-router (x86) environment. Wan: dhcp. Lan: 10.15.0.0/22, dhcp 10.15.1.1-254. Router ip 10.15.0.1. Fully working. I install this environment to hard disk.

Then I make 1:1 copy of the hard disk, and I change ip-addressing "16", so only I change 10.15.0.0/22 to 10.16.0.0/22, 10.16.0.1, dhcp 10.16.1.1. I put this new harddisk to other computer. Openwrt work. Direct keyboard+display, internet work etc. But, when I put computer to "LAN"- nada. Ping 10.16.0.1, nothing. No network.

Question is, so: "identical copy of the fully working. Only I change ip-addresses. Lan-side not work. First I see it is some -ula- problem but maybe not, on my isp and lan no ipv6." What is fault, what I start check?

.... "I connect computer to LAN, then ping 10.16.0.1, no answer. Rebooted router, rebooted computer. Nada. What I must check...."

With x86 you have to be careful how the Ethernet ports are enumerated (especially that the one built into the motherboard may not be eth0-- it could be one of the cards instead) and which network each physical port is connected to. Also some hardware requires installation of additional drivers.

By default the firstboot script will make eth0 lan and eth1 wan, any other ports on the machine will be unassigned. Though the script will not run if you make a copy of existing config.

A /22 netmask means that 192.168.16.1/22 and 192.168.17.1/22 will be in the same network. You probably want /24 netmask, this makes it simple to distinguish that the last number is the local part. Unless you have many LAN machines and require more than 250 IPs in the LAN space, then it is common to move to the 10. range.

3 Likes

Make sure:

• Use non-overlapping subnets for different interfaces, verify it with some ipcalc if required.
  • Perform DHCP release and renew on the wired clients when you change LAN IP of the router.
1 Like

If you just dd a system you have to adjust beside OpenWrt/network setting the hostname and the machine-id also. Last one for e. g. is used for DHCP host identifier and may cause serious conflicts (system getting same ip).

Close this thread as solved. Fault is not copying or similar. Other thread new.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.