Connect android to router without internet access

Hi,

android devices seem to be finicky when connecting to a wifi-network that does not have internet access. Either they don't connect at all or they don't stay connected.

However there is a way to fool these devices into thinking there is internet access as they seem to test connectivity by doing some dns-queries and the way to fool them is to configure the dns-server to answer these queries.

I remember having seen postings (on other forums) with all the details but at the moment I cannot find them anymore, so my question is:

Does anyone know how to configure an openwrt-router in such a way that android devices connect to it (and stay connected) over wifi even when the router does not have an internet connection?

Many thanks!

This is standard behavior for most mobile devices. The thinking is that with Android and iOS (especially in phones), there is usually a cellular network, and rather than break connectivity, the devices will favor cellular and drop off wifi.

Yes.

1 Like

I am impressed. I have not tried it yet but a ready-to-install package to meet my requirements feels like christmas is coming up...

Many thanks!

You're welcome. Give it a shot and let us know if it does what you need.

If your problem is solved, please consider marking this topic as [Solved]. See How to mark a topic as [Solved] for a short how-to.
Thanks! :slight_smile:

Unfortunately it is not working for me.

I am running 22.03.5 and "/etc/init.d/fakeinternet status" shows "running".

Yet my moto g8 with Android 11 won't connect. At first it says "No internet" (that's what it said before) and then it changes to "Limited connection" - but it won't connect in either state.

I have tried a reboot but it did not change anything.

I now have had one beer too many to be able to look into it any further today but it seems the package does not do enough....