Confirmation needed

Does this message tell me:

1. the upgrade is not supported
  2. or the device is not supported.

Its a bit confusing..

# sysupgrade --test --force -n /tmp/openwrt-22.03.2-ramips-mt7621-ubnt_edgerouter-x-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin 
Device ubnt-erx not supported by this image
Supported devices: ubnt,edgerouter-x ubnt-erx ubiquiti,edgerouterx - Image version mismatch: image 1.1, device 1.0. Please wipe config during upgrade (force required) or reinstall. Reason: Config cannot be migrated from swconfig to DSA
Image check failed but --force given - will update anyway!

It tries to be as clear as possible:

Please wipe config during upgrade (force required) or reinstall
Reason: Config cannot be migrated from swconfig to DSA

Device is supported, but if you sysupgrade with keeping config or you restore the previous backup, you brick the device.

The switch config and interface names have changed in the transition to DSA.

You can override the warning with the "force" option, but do not keep config (so that you get the new default config).

Ps. the incompatible files are /etc/config/network and /etc/config/system. Other config files might be ok.

3 Likes

The confusing part for me:

Device ubnt-erx not supported by this image and then ubnt-erx is stated under supported devices.

the rest as you can see from the command-line was pretty clear :smiley:

Yeah, there has been the check for image ID strings for some time. The same routine/message was highjacked to serve also for the other kind of compatibility checks, while the original message (first part) was left in place and the specific reason (like dsa migration) was just added to the end of the message. That makes it to look more scary/confusing than necessary.

Everything worked out fine, although the configuration took a while.
It seems that DHCP stops working if DHCP-Options are not configured correctly:

:blush: should have been

I did not get a warning in LUA that I stumbled over my own fingers.
But given all the other warnings I got reconfiguring, I thought I might as well post it here too :grin:

Thanks for the support

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.