Configure VLANs on EX6150v2 / EX6100v2

I would love to add vlan to my EX6150v2 as well as EX6100v2. Both are on ipq40xx chips.

Please share some tips on how to get vlan working on these two AP. They are working very well without
Thanks.

You need to explain how you are going to use vlans to get help.

Hi Dmitri

This is a home application and I am a perpetual noob.

The network at home is a gateway with default LAN of vlan 1 and on that I have RAIDZ2 NAS that I wish no one should access other than family. Frankly, no one would care to access but there is some fun in feeling that my collection of dog pictures are protected like fort knox.

Then I have a vlan 6 and on that I have all my Alexa controlled lights, garage, fire cube, and other IOT. I also have SSID called guests so that not only can people use internet when visiting me they can also airplay or cast to my TV.

On the vlan 1, I have firewall rule that allows clients on 1 to access vlan 6 but vlan 6 has no entry in firewall to be allowed on vlan 1.

All my devices are on dhcp fixed and that way, I know if any new device might be eavesdropping. and, finally I have 802.11r enabled on all dumb AP (also openwrt) with just default and ds over air enabled to facilitate fast roaming.

I had a copule of aruba installed into my attic thinking of reducing wire clutter but they dont play nice among them in instant-on mode for fast roaming and neither they play nice with openwrt. I noticed that it may be because the Mobility Domain on openwrt is hexadecimal and perhaps decimal on Aruba. So they care still in attic but switched off from POE.

The EX6100v2 and EX6150v2 are aimed with the two vlans that would only be used and connected to an rj45 jack in area that is infrequently used (they are neat, plug into wall and an rj45 right there) and so why waste electricity. Push comes to shove, I will configure one device as vlan1 and the other as vlan 6 and use the switch to untag the two ports for respective vlans.

Sorry for long description but this is my complete set up. My hope was that there ex6100v2 could have vlan 1 (5 ghz) and vlan 6 (2.4 Ghz) and hence this thread.

Thanks for reading.

The only small problem with this device is that you shouldn't use vlans 1 and 2 for other purposes. Everything else can be done almost the same way. You can obviously set some other number, not 1.

Will it work, with Openwrt Rev 22x on EX6100 v2, if I used vi to change file /etc/config/network to following:

config interface 'loopback'
        option device 'lo'
        option proto 'static'
        option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
        option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config globals 'globals'
        option ula_prefix 'fd94:aec3:80f4::/48'

config device
        option name 'br-lan'
        option type 'bridge'
        list ports 'eth0'

config interface 'lan'