Compile OpenWrt on RaspberryPI, too slow?

If you are using the Ampere quad core then you cannot go out of the free tier, they also require to "upgrade" to paid tier

1 Like

There's a restriction on the amount of free traffic, I think, he could in theory go over the max value?

They will probably terminate your service before that

I think they'll charge you if you pass the free limit, but I signed up 3 yrs ago, so things might have changed since then.

The CC # I gave them have been replaced 3 times over, so they'd fail anyway, even if they tried.

I used/I'm using the

Shape: VM.Standard.A1.Flex

OCPU count: 4

Network bandwidth (Gbps): 4

Memory (GB): 24

(Damn I realized just now that I compiled the image using the RAM amount instead of the cores make -j 25 instead of 5 :rofl: )

Yes it's say "free forever". But nothing is forever, especially in tech. Anyway I think it will "stay inside" the computing time/power/resources also using a normal plan, just make one build every 10-15 days.

Mine have been working for 3 years, so far so good.

Need to scratch the ones I'm running though, since there's no upgrade path for the Centos version I'm on.

Might move over to ARM, don't really need the x86, and I get more CPU power for the same money ($0).

1 Like

It takes 5-10 minutes to create a new image and configure the OpenWrt build environment, I don't know about the x86, but the 4 cores/24GB ARM machine, damn is fast for...

This :upside_down_face: I prefer to send my 10-20ā‚¬ to OpenWrt developers than gift them to the Oracle (or similar company).

Anyway I had some (weird) issues with the WAX206 build I've compiled, after I've flashed it all the network interfaces were disabled, SSH off, LuCi not usable, etcc.. so I resetted it (to stock FW), than I upgraded with the factory to OpenWrt image (with my build just made), and then I imported my backup, (meanwhile the filesystem has become corrupted/read only, and I was unable to do anything but after a soft reboot things resolved themselves), and finally it was usable as normal. But here is off-topic, I wrote the details of the issues here: OpenWrt support for WAX206 - #304 by giuliomagnifico

And that's why you use -j$(nproc) instead of manually defining the cores.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.