Client mode with both 2.4GHz and 5GHz

Hi everyone, I'm trying to configure a netgear ex3700 so that it is possible to connect both the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz interface to the same SSID and share the connection via ethernet.
Currently I was able to configure the connection using the 2.4ghz interface only, but I have no idea how to add the 5ghz.
Also I have the requirement that the connection should works even when only one of the two wifi interfaces is connected.
Is there a way to do it?

Not really, while it's technically possible, it's not a good idea at all. If the 5 GHz connection works, it's much faster than the 2.4 GHz one anyways - if you're out of range of your 5 GHz coverage, you don't have much of a choice anyways. Therefore at least for semi-static placing options, you'll be able to find the better option quickly.

Trying to juggle around two uplinks to the same network would require more advanced routing (vulgo 'meshing') solutions than easily attainable.

4 Likes

Mwan3 can be used to load balance/failover numerous wan interfaces. This works fine if the wan interfaces are wireless sta.
If both go to the same remote router it would normally be a bit pointless but I can think of use cases.
You would need to set up your Netgear in the correct way to use mwan3 but that is well covered elsewhere.

3 Likes

Besides mwan3, "travelmate" is another option, if you want to use one channel as a backup.

1 Like

Thank you all guys! Travelmate is exactly what I needed. Now I just need to figure out how to configure it, but it doesn't seem too much difficult :slight_smile:

1 Like